What do you do at work besides testing?

I have some reasons to believe that some people don’t just test at work.
We have briefly touched on this point in a couple of posts in the last few months.
We get hired as testers but are required or want to do other things as well.
Knowing what tasks(non-testing) people are doing would be interesting.

Some ideas of what I mean:

• Do you do client support? (maybe pick up the phone, reply to emails, respond of forums, remotely analyze or fix their issues)
  • Write operational documentation?
  • Data analysis?
  • Create or help with solution design?
  • Business analysis for new ideas, laying out initial requirements/specs?
  • Operational support for the production system?
  • Build, and configure tools for developers or business teams?
  • Touch the production code(do bug-fixes, peer review, git repo management, versioning, packaging)?
  • Manage releases, coordinating across several teams?
  • Organize product demos, magazine reviews, and public beta testing.
  • Have a part-time role/responsibility in another area, like: content management, translator, dev lead, product management, sales…
  • Represent your company at sales/marketing/innovation events
  • User review panels for new application features;
  • Write the product tech manual, the guide or help areas

What’s a thing that you got asked and you refused to do (or didn’t accept the job because of)?

2 Likes

I’m confused as I see your question in the title being different from the one in the text.

I see the tester role still being the same, but people having multiple roles/hats.
If I don’t do test at work, I don’t act in the tester role.

To a certain degree, helping my department and team, I see myself as mercenary - I do whatever people want me to do as long as I’m paid.
The main part should be still testing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review. (I’ve corrected the formulation)
I am referring to the fact that we are hired as testers, but reality can be a bit different. We end up doing things relating to other roles, as you’ve rightly noticed.

These can appear either as opportunities to learn and do something else, a demand from a manager, a personal will to help the team, restructuring of the team where you stay with the title but there’s no or little need of the testing skills.

1 Like

Software tester. Software Developer In Test (by design - I didn’t ask for permission). Accidental tech docs. Accidental trainer.

1 Like

It’s a matter of the work environment. I work in a product team in agile env. Like any team member, I’m involved in some activities and may have some tasks that are not directly about software testing but important for the software quality or success of the product or dev processes, etc. Not every team has 20-30 different dedicated roles for any task; people have primary responsibilities and there are some tasks that have to be done. We are developing a software product, and I don’t mind being more involved in the process beyond testing :sweat_smile: Personally, I don’t have any additional/second titles, such as content manager, release manager, PM, business/system analyst, etc but I’ve been doing some task and activities that might be classified as tasks for roles different from a tester or QA Engineer :wink:

1 Like

I switched from coder to tester about 17 years ago, and one thing my day job entails as a sideline activity, that I never had to do as a coder is chase people when release dates slip. Coders are happy for more time to fix defects and to just generally write code that does what was asked elegantly and maintain-ably. But QA end up doing some of the PO or Release work when nobody is assigned the job of getting product actually released and out the door.

It never states things like ‘gather requirements’ and ‘write internal documentation that other-people-are-too-lazy-to-write’ on the job description, but I’ve always had to do a lot of that.

Evaluating and creating tools, as well as locking down things. Those were never on the job descriptions, but recently I spend a lot of time doing that too, with all the focus on secure supply chain (ISO 27001) .

1 Like