What do you think, who tests the testers?

It’s been excellent to read all the replies to this tweet:

Some favourites:

Reality

The software

Testers :sweat_smile:

Have a read of the replies. They’re great!

What else would you add? Who tests the testers?

4 Likes

Who shaves the barber?
aka Russels-Paradox, all boils down to giving things agreed upon names based on “state”. I wonder if you perform checks on software that never ever releases or used by another person, are you doing the same kind of testing of it?

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @conrad.connected . Russell’s Paradox wasn’t on my radar and is now!

I wasn’t sure about the paradox of the barber so looked it up. I like this description:

The barber is the “one who shaves all those, and those only, who do not shave themselves”. The question is, does the barber shave himself? Answering this question results in a contradiction. The barber cannot shave himself as he only shaves those who do not shave themselves. Thus, if he shaves himself he ceases to be the barber. Conversely, if the barber does not shave himself, then he fits into the group of people who would be shaved by the barber, and thus, as the barber, he must shave himself.

A nice way to get my brain fired up today! :smile:

2 Likes

It’s a case of quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

2 Likes

Testers love puzzles.

Customers outnumber testers normally at about a million to one. So it’s a bit absurd to imagine you will discover all of the defects. Very often all you want is a strategy to deal with a truth that; you cannot hope to find all of the issues; but you can find the ones that cause damage. Puzzles test our critical thinking.

5 Likes