What is TestBash Home like for people who are new to conferences?

I feel just as much value and learning here as at an in-person conference. But I realize, I already know so many participants and speakers here.

Are you new to conferences, or at least, new to testing-related ones? How do you feel about the remote conference experience, versus how it might have been in-person?

6 Likes

I really like the interaction with people over chats, slack and the club. I really feel closer that in some in person conferences. Many more questions from the audience answered too.

Also, living in a place where no many conferences happen, having the opportunity to connect to an online conference from home, for a price I can afford, not needing to pay the trip, the hotel, etc. is really good. I donĀ“t even needed to ask for support from my company. To be honest, I always wanted to go to a Test Bash but, due to the costs, it was not possible.

On the other side, for the speakers (having some experience too) it has to be really weird to donĀ“t have the feedback on live time from the audience.

6 Likes

Amazing, feels really like a big family and everyone is included from the spot.

Even if you cant talk directly with people, I learning so much new stuff and getting new ideas and views.

3 Likes

Actually loving doing this from home as I donā€™t always have enough energy to attend the conferences. Though I did on TestBash Brighton in 2018 and a big Microsoft conference back in January. This is so good because Iā€™m not so exhausted I have time to browse and no queue for the loo.

3 Likes

I find it really cool with the real-time chat in crowdcast, being able to see what everyone else is thinking about during the talks.

3 Likes

I actually prefer this remote setup. The side convos happening during talks is making me a bit more engaged to be honest.

Given that, I also miss the mingle time between talks.

4 Likes

My first conference after not being able to attend Brighton. I am enjoying it, the community is great and everyone is so friendly. There are plenty of interactive tools available to chat to people.

The talks have been great and taking away so much, I missed a few hours due to sleep so canā€™t wait for those to be posted so I can see those.

1 Like

As someone who gets really anxious in large crowds and has trouble keeping still or spending a large amount of times in large groups. I find this type of conference helps me a lot as I can get the most out of all the talks and feel part of the crowd without having to worry about being self conscious and just not getting the most of the talks.

7 Likes

Iā€™m not that great around people Iā€™m not already familiar with, so I actually appreciate the initial distance afforded by online conferences and it makes it easier to engage. But I do also get how it doesnā€™t feel the same as having physical presence, itā€™s hard to replicate the same sense of energy.

2 Likes

When online and remote conferences are the new normal during this crisis, being in TestBash Home really helps you feel that you belong to this big community of awesome and passionate people who love testing and all things related to testing! This is my first TestBash conference and the way the conference is done with live chats, questions, and interactions with speakers is pretty awesome! Kudos to everyone who made this work!

1 Like

This is my first time attending a TestBash conference and this has exceeded my expectations so much! The community is great, thereā€™s even a TestBash home game which was really cool, the hosts, speakers and talks are amazing.

1 Like

I feel like I have learnt/reminded of many things in few hours which might have taken years. I have many years of experience in the field but very new to conferences.

1 Like

Not my first testing conference - Iā€™ve attended Agile Testing Days, STPCon, PNSQC, CAST, as well as some more general tech conferences.

I definitely miss the actual hallway sessions, the socializing, and exploring a new locale, and Iā€™ll admit I had low expectations coming into this. OnlineTestConf didnā€™t wow me, and Iā€™m curious to see Techwellā€™s take on online conference as theyā€™re going virtual with STAREAST. On the other hand, Oā€™Reillyā€™s taken this as the opportunity to cancel all future in-person conferences, which seems bonkers.

In any case, this eventā€™s greatly exceeded my expectations. While I think thereā€™s a lot of filler to pad this out to 24 hours, I think the hosts have done a fantastic job at making this feel engaging - itā€™s super crazy to think theyā€™re dealing with 20 second lag as well as no real feedback, but theyā€™re killing it, all in their own unique way.

I do wish the ā€œhallwayā€ session was a bit more focused - having Crowdcastā€™s chat, the Club, Twitter, and Slack seems like it fragments things. Narrowing this down a little might help (and it might be time for MoT to start paying for Slack so they can archive out conversations and preserve them).

2 Likes

Not my first conference, but first time online and Iā€™m loving the chat and Q&A that goes along with each session. Normally I try to tweet while Iā€™m watching talks and itā€™s hard to also see what else is happening on the hashtag and pay attention to the talk at the same time. With the chat sidebar though, itā€™s much easier to focus on both and there is a lot of useful information posted there - clarifications, links, etc.

Also, Iā€™m not great at small talk, so with an online conference, there is no awkward standing around trying to join in a conversation. If I have nothing to say, I can just listen and donā€™t feel like I have to contribute.

2 Likes

This online conference is absolutely amazing ! With the interaction of different ā€œwell chosenā€ host and MoT Team itā€™s a unique one that gather people from all the world and different timezones

2 Likes

My first QA conference, first online conference and itā€™s a great experience. Thereā€™s value in time spent. Itā€™s cost effective, lots to take home and apply to our jobs and life. It feels to good to be just here , Iā€™m just glad I joined this conference. Thanks to the organizers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is not my first testing conference, Iā€™ve attended around 6 or 7 testing conferences in my home country (2 of which as presenter), but never got to go abroad to a Test Bash, so this was a great opportunity for me.

I love the remote format, this 24 hours marathon (even with a few breaks), is so exciting, and the whole slack/club/chat/twitter is super engaging, and I feel that I got to meet more people than I wouldā€™ve in the ā€œreal worldā€ conference.

Big thanks to all the organizers who made sure itā€™ll all run so smoothly, and for making all of us that are new to Test Bash feel part of a family right from the first minute, and throughout the entire 24 hours.

Thanks for the most awesome conference ever! :tada:

2 Likes

It was great!!Amazing to see so much people connecting. Loved it!

1 Like

This is my first TestBash, and It has fantastic. I love the community feel the Bash has its amazing.

I want to attend a TestBash in future.

Great Job by all involved :slight_smile:

1 Like

TestBash home is my first testing-related conference. I love it. I am an introvert, that is a bit scared of people in real life, and I get really anxious when strangers are around me. But the distance offered by Home Edition makes it easy to engage for people like me.
I really hope this Home Edition will happen yearly from now on, even when this virus go away. I planned to overcome my fear and go to TestBash Netherlands this year, which got postponed, but now I will definitely go. :slight_smile:

2 Likes