What more should I do to improve my CV for Germany?

I’m a software tester living in Germany. Following are the stats of my career, please go through them and tell me how I should improve from this point onwards:

Experience: 5 years

Tools and frameworks: Jmeter, Playwright, Supertest JS, Webdriver IO and Cypress

Certifications: None. I’m working on getting the ISTQB CTFL

Time in Germany: 9 months

Kinds of software testing:

• Tested on demand applications which had web apps and mobile apps
  • Did UI testing on marketing websites where I tested them on several viewport sizes
  • Tested APIs for correct response codes, validations and json schema
  • Tested databases for null data which used to cause crashes. In my current software, they don’t require database testing as they deem it unnecessary.

I don’t have experience to setting up a CI/CD pipeline. I don’t have experience on doing anything on AWS.

Who am I as a tester: As a tester I follow the RST methodology. I have molded processes in my current organisation to be quick and efficient. Basically, I abandoned maintaining test cases in Testrail and switched to creating notes for testing a feature. I’m currently building and maintaining performance tests on Jmeter and Playwright. I also question scope and business logic of literally every feature in the application from a user’s perspective. Summing myself up, I’m a riot when it comes to work, I will ask and ask again lots of questions and even basic questions. I don’t mind doing that as long as it ensures good testing.

Rejections from HRs:

• One said I don’t have experience to test front-end and backend as apparently my experience is in mobile applications
  • One said I don’t have experience with AWS
2 Likes

Just some thoughts, don’t weigh them too much especially when they feel off to you.

I never worked in Germany but I’ve a lot of German tech people in my social circle.

Don’t get discouraged too much by the rejections. Out of the 100s jobs out there, you need only one offer. Most job applications end up in a rejection.

I have not seen the job descriptions, but my impression is that the HR persons you mention don’t know what they are talking about. It’s a matter of luck until your application is reviewed by someone who knows what they need.

Though you might be too experienced already for the ISTQB certificate, it may prevent autorejections if you have it on your CV. I would guess that German or German-speaking companies care more about it than in other countries.

Building a simple CI/CD pipeline is something you can do as a personal project (I’ve done it on the job though). Just pick whatever tool is most common among the jobs you’re interested in.

1 Like

One point: You mentioned many things that you did, but didn’t show what you have achieved.
Tell a story: Set the initial context, the actions, and the final result, showing how you have contributed.

1 Like

that would be in my full cv
do you want to take a look?