What myths about DevOps do you know?

Hi community; I’ve got a question for you! Myths and legends about DevOps from the developers’ point of view: what have you heard about that?

Also, it will be good to know what challenges exist for testers here, I mean when those two are arguing (or not arguing, any type of relationship is acceptable).

(My colleague is working on a project covering this topic, and she will be much happy to get some insights from you.)

1 Like

It’s a bit of a bikeshedding exercise in some companies. For the tester’s perspective I often observe that developers don’t do “Production” or operations, so the “ops” part of dev-ops fells like a made-up word by a CEO to describe their agile small startup company in terminology, that works only in SaaS or utility type companies who do have separate Ops Teams.

Where I am we have grown, and have broken what was loosely “DevOps” into 3 teams, where the Ops team is the only team that don’t have a “tester” embedded in their team anymore. But curiously the Ops team do have 2 ex-QA members who still optionally join our QA chapter meetings. So QA has remained the glue team vertically.

Mythwise. For me, developers who also do ops are unicorns now, but 2 years ago they were a definite thing because we were smaller.

3 Likes

Hi, thank you for your extended answer! Don’t you mind if my colleague uses it as a quote mentioning you in her article? I’ll send you the link when it’s ready, for sure.

1 Like

Sure. I’m not fussy about attribution. I was a programmer for almost 20 years before blogs etc. really existed. So I’m just so happy we are in a time today where we can help people learn and share ideas with far less friction.

3 Likes