What tools should I learn?

(Mark) #1

At Software testing clinic sessions we like to put up a board and ask our students what they want to learn or any other questions. We then tailor our sessions to address what our students want to learn and answer those questions, but there is always more we can do. That’s why we have created the Dojo series ‘Questions from students’ to share more knowledge and continue the discussion.

For our first article, we are discussing the most popular questions we get at SWTC, what tools should a tester learn?

The article covers a lot of different tools for different jobs that a tester needs to carry out, but what do you think of the list? Are you a mentor who can suggest any other tools that they use regularly for students, are there other areas of tools that students are interested in finding out.

I want to hear your recommendations and questions

(Stefan) #2

Hi,
Tools are a sensitive subject. There are millions of them. But there are also the self built ones which are a bit more limited in numbers and with a very specific and targeted purpose.
The scope of each tool is different. And in any case they should help to do a hard task easier.
Tools also change with time, with companies, with applications, with the interest.
I couldn’t say use this tool for that thing, this one is the best/recommended one. There might be 100 other tools that do it better.
As examples: I’m testing for 6 years and went through 5-6 text editors. Next year I might use a 7th one.
In the same interval of time I went through 4 different domains having different focus on different sets of tools.
I also tested on about 16 OSes or OS versions.

A tool might be useful for a specific purpose at a specific point in time. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t other tools which are better.

(nikhila) #3

well obviously selenium apart from that we used to know about new open source tool AnyAut which was developed by our company core team

(Valek) #4

In the test automation landscape, automation tools certainly take a center stage. This post summarizes the top test automation tools and frameworks that have the potential to help organizations to best position themselves to keep pace with the trends in software testing. The list includes both open-source and commercial test automation solutions.

Recently I’ve read an interesting article on Medium that you may refer for your question:
Automation Testing Tools for 2018 (Top 10 reviews)
Good luck!

(Polina) #5

Selenium WebDriver

This is the top tool for testing process automation. It allows the browser to take certain actions an ordinary user would take, like clicking, scrolling, inputting text, etc. The Selenium WebDriver literally drives the browser. It has several advantages, making Selenium one of the most popular tools for automated software testing.

Protractor

Protractor is an end-to-end test automation framework which based on the Selenium WebDriver and perfectly fits projects with AngularJS.

JMeter

JMeter is an Apache product with a strong focus on load testing. Originally, this was a tool for web app testing, but now it can cover various types of software.

Appium

If you are looking for a tool to test native, hybrid or mobile web apps - then Appium is the right choice for you. It is the analog of Selenium WebDriver, but for mobile use.

Travis CI

Continuous integration is becoming a widely used approach. It requires developers to integrate their code into a shared repository several times a day. After each integration, the test should be run to detect all possible mistakes as soon as possible and solve them in the initial stages.

Gemini

All the mentioned tools are used to test the functionality of the applications. Gemini is here for UI testing. The framework takes the screenshots of the web page appearance and compares it with baseline images.
Do you need help with choosing the right automation testing tool for your project? Read this article about automation testing tools

(Joe) #6

I thought the list in your link

is a great list that can be applied to both testers and test engineers. One tool I would add is Excel or some spreadsheet equivalent. I’ve found it handy for generating data, code, and reviewing data.