What top tip would you give yourself if you started in Testing today?

Knowing what you know now, what one top tip would you give yourself if you were starting in Software Testing and Quality today?

Would it be something to avoid?
Some key truth about testing?
Some key topic to focus more on learning?

My tip would be:

Don’t worry how what you’re learning now fits in right away. Over your career you will dip back into the tool box you are building now. Every tools you find and sharpen along the way is an opportunity for you to have the right tool when the time comes. And even more, by practicing to learn, you will naturally pick up transferable skills that you can use for other tools.

What tip will you share?

My primary tip could be: don’t overdo terminology and semantics, read the situation is more vital.

It’s a great question, Ben. I have been playing with an idea of a guidebook to these destinations:

• The Sea of Testing Know-How
  • The Community Deep
  • The Pearly Personalities
  • The Leadership Lands
  • Management meadows
  • Shallow Shores
  • Project roadways
  • Transition highways
  • Agile release trains
  • Artifact wetlands
  • Document pitfalls
  • The Certification Wastelands
  • Rivers of Tenacity
  • And the various tool towns scattered across the land

Which parts of the testing world would you need a guidebook for?

2 Likes

Those guide book titles sound very D&D inspired, like campaign titles almost.

1 Like

Would it be something to avoid?
No, I don’t think so, I actually shifted my career from developer to system engineer to QA. And I like working as a QA more, according to my personal choice I got more work-life balance working as a QA and I get more me time, its very rare case when I actually need to take work at home.

Some key truths about testing?
It has a huge impact on your thinking pattern, once you start finding bugs, you will find problems with everything you see around you, you just start getting very picky with everything :sweat_smile:

Some key topics to focus more on learning? -

• how to write test cases well
  • Learn basics of testing well
  • if you are interested in automation as well, start learning any automation framework cypress/selenium any one is good enough
2 Likes

I’d suggest taking a step that will help ignite the passion and learning of the craft. The obvious two being getting MoT Pro membership or attending a conference (not mutually exclusive!).

I’ve always had “the knack” for finding defects but the past couple of years, since a former colleague recommended my local MoT meet up, have been transformational and helped me become a lot more than someone who finds bugs (although I still get the buzz!).

2 Likes

I will start 15 years before :face_with_peeking_eye::blush:

2 Likes

:point_up: :point_up: :point_up: This. So much this.

Don’t be afraid to take on something new. Even if you struggle at first just keep on trying. The fun is learning. The more you learn the more you will want to learn.

I always pass this question onto new colleagues. “What did you learn today?”

1 Like

My one tip for myself: “Get back into security quicker --mainly bug bounty” - just a personal goal.

Nope! :smiley:

Testing is breaking down software and getting paid for it. While everyone thinks it’s the testers fault, it’s the teams fault. The team owns quality and not just you.

• Securityyyy :smiley: I love doing it, it’s an infinite learning opportunity and a hot topic to talk about.
  • But also, don’t always wait for others. Sometimes it’s easier to do something yourself and you’ll progress faster. It’s okay to do Co-op stuff but it’s also okay to do some things solo.

Great topic @fullsnacktester and I started writing some answers and then I thought, hey, why not use AI for inspiring answers :smiley: , so here is the outcome from ChatGPT to your questions:

If I were starting in Software Testing and Quality today, based on my knowledge and experience, here is the top tip I would give myself:

Focus on Test Automation: One key topic to focus more on learning would be test automation. Test automation plays a crucial role in modern software testing, enabling efficient and effective test execution. Invest time in learning popular test automation frameworks and tools, such as Selenium WebDriver, Appium, or Cypress, depending on the type of applications you’ll be testing. Automating repetitive and mundane test cases allows you to save time and resources, while also improving test coverage and reducing the chances of human error. Understanding how to design and implement robust and maintainable automated test suites will greatly enhance your testing capabilities and marketability.

In addition to that, here are some additional insights to consider:

1. Embrace Continuous Testing: Software development practices have evolved to embrace continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps principles. It’s important to understand the value of continuous testing and its integration into the software development lifecycle. This includes writing tests early, automating them, and integrating them seamlessly into the development and deployment processes. By adopting continuous testing, you ensure that quality is continuously assessed throughout the development cycle, reducing the risk of critical issues reaching production.

2. Test the System, Not Just the Code: While testing individual code units (unit testing) is important, it’s crucial to also focus on testing the system as a whole. System testing involves verifying the behavior and functionality of the complete software system, including interactions between various components and subsystems. This helps uncover integration issues, performance bottlenecks, and other critical defects that might arise when different modules interact with each other. Understanding how to design and execute effective system-level tests will give you a broader perspective on the software’s quality and help identify issues that might be missed at the unit level.

3. Emphasize Exploratory Testing: While test automation is valuable, don’t overlook the importance of exploratory testing. Exploratory testing involves simultaneous learning, test design, and test execution, relying on the tester’s knowledge, skills, and creativity. It allows you to uncover unexpected issues, evaluate usability aspects, and gain insights into the system’s behavior. Invest time in developing your exploratory testing skills and techniques, as it complements automated testing and helps uncover issues that are difficult to capture through scripted tests alone.

4. Collaboration and Communication: Quality assurance is a team effort, and effective collaboration and communication are essential. Develop strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with developers, product owners, and other stakeholders. Actively participate in meetings, provide valuable feedback, and contribute to the overall quality of the software. Building good relationships with your team members and fostering a collaborative environment will enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the testing process.

Remember, testing is not just about finding bugs; it’s about providing valuable information to stakeholders, ensuring the software meets the desired quality standards, and continuously improving the development process. Embrace learning and stay updated with the latest industry trends, tools, and techniques to excel in the field of software testing and quality.

I also created a blogpost about it :wink:

2 Likes