What's another word for "software bug"?

Iā€™ll save you from having to read the long background story, but Iā€™m setting up a new bug repository in Jira for one of our company projects. They donā€™t really want to call it ā€œbugsā€, though. Iā€™m trying to come up with something a little more neutral, and since itā€™s in Jira, I canā€™t call it Issues. (Everything in Jira is an issue!) So far I have
Problems
Defects
Discrepancies
Obstacles

Anyone have any other suggestions? I feel Iā€™m missing something obvious.

Thanks!

3 Likes

glitch
fault

probably you can go with ā€œdefectā€, this is quite a formal and well-known synonym for ā€œsoftware bugā€

2 Likes

ā€œErrorā€
Or if you really have the space, ā€œdeviation from requirementā€ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mistake
Gap
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

3 Likes

Thing
Twiddle
Quirk
Phenomenon
Oddity
Behavior
Sparkle
Snowflake
HappyTree

More seriously, Iā€™ve heard of this kind of dislike for ā€œnegativeā€ terminology at companies before and it feels, to me, like trying to use different words may be masking a deeper problem with the teamā€™s culture. If thereā€™s a blame culture or an overly optimistic culture that doesnā€™t like admitting to mistakes, then whatever word you pick is going to develop the same negative connotation.

Something to watch for at least.

2 Likes

If I was told I could not use the word that should obviously be used, I would respond with suggestions designed to result in the foolā€™s errand being given to someone else, such as:

Cock-ups
Sub-optimal behaviours
Badgers
Hexapod invertebrates
Stuff
Gremlins
Idiosyncracies
Imperfections
Peccadillos
Malefactions (or personfactions if your organisation insists on gender-free language)

Regardless of what ends up being used, this list of ideas makes me extremely happy.

2 Likes

Issue(s)? I used a custom system for bugs called ā€œSoftware Issuesā€.

2 Likes

When I find a potential issue/problem in the software I call it sometimes: observation
It can take the form of: some notes in the test report, a comment in Jira, a debrief with a dev/pm, a ticket with whatever type is closest to it, a subtask in an epic/task, a post-it, or a whiteboard scribble.
As I donā€™t initially know where it might fit in the grand scheme of things, or even if and how much it matters for who matters.
The PM/PO then finds a place for it, and a name in the backlog, or we find it together: feature, bug, regression, change, task, wonā€™t fix, tell the dev, low priority/delete.

1 Like

hiccup

filler characters

Paula Vennels (former British Post office Boss) came up with

ā€œexception or anomalyā€. The Post Office then started to refer to known defects in the system as ā€œexceptionsā€.

Query or Opportunities (to improve)

1 Like

i can think of these

• Glitches
  • Errors
  • Faults
  • Flaws
  • Anomalies
  • Inconsistencies
  • Malfunctions
  • Irregularities
  • Issues
  • Hiccups
  • Misbehaviors
  • Breakdowns
  • Abnormalities
  • Failures
3 Likes

Just from sheer curiosity, why do they not want to use the term ā€˜bugsā€™

If you read the other linked news snippets related to The Post Office Scandal, and read the book, you will know that someone took steps early-on to cover up how a high the number of ā€œbugsā€ being reported by Fujitsu testers was. And so Iā€™m sure (you have to watch the interviews too) that legal advice was to find a less emotive word. Users were saying the system had bugs, and lawyers suspected lawsuits with that word were coming. Lawyers knew that using a different word would break any correlations a Judge might make between the high reported defect rates often brought up as an evidence item in software trials and the common parlance term ā€œbugā€ that 90% of adults use. We wonā€™t go into the horror of what happened to the testers.

4 Likes

Yeah, lets start calling them ā€˜unexpected featuresā€™ instead :sweat_smile:

To answer OPā€™s post I use the word ā€˜glipā€™ but its not that professional - ā€˜there is a bit of a glip hereā€™ or ā€˜when I do this, it starts glipping outā€™ - more professionally Iā€™ll use the word Observations, there can be negative and positive observations during a exploration test session, for example, or when Iā€™m doing a writeup on a ticket Iā€™ll note any observations down.

If there is a more blatant issue I will just use bug though. No point calling it anything else in my opinion, unless as you said people want to make things sound better than they are.

2 Likes

@conrad.braam great example, and exactly the kind of organizational dysfunction I was concerned about with my reply.

2 Likes

All above written, but then I thought again :wink:

And I created this Bob Ross meme :smiley: - why not
ā€œHappy Accidentsā€?

3 Likes