I’m building a small local first Windows tool for working with image files, and I’m trying to understand this part of testing workflows better.
If you’re testing several bugs, features, or cases in one session, do you rename screenshots, move them into folders, attach them straight to Jira or another tool, or just rely on remembering what was what?
I’m especially curious about the parts that still feel annoyingly manual.
Nice question. What i do is firstly assign in each bug a unique id. Then for each image i start by using this id and some first X words of bug’s title. For example Bug_id_001_button_overlap.jpg, Bug_id_002_Image_is_being_overlaped.jpg and so on.
Probably been asked before, and the answer, is probably still “with great difficulty”.
Simon P once wrote a nice app to capture testing sessions that did a pretty good job at keeping notes and screenshots in track. I think this is do-able, just requires notes and metadata timestamping capture.
For manual tests, I only worry about screenshots in case of a failure, in which case I attach the screenshot to the Jira I raise. For automated testing, I created a UUID for every component and included it in the screenshot filename. Even so, sifting through the log for a couple thousand tests run overnight and correlating failures to screenshots is far from painless*!
* I’ve been saying for some time that the predatory elation of finding a bug is surely an early career thing, given the effort involved in turning that bug into something useful to give to the developers (and I’ve put quite a bit of effort into making the tools to make that as easy on me as possible).