99 Minute Workshop - Teacher's lounge

Welcome to the 99 Minute Workshop Teacher’s lounge. There’s Coffee still hot in the pot on the side, and a comfy couch to sit on and relax with your fellow instructors.

This is a space for instructors to come together and ask for help, share tools and techniques that have helped them in their workshops, or for general chat about teaching.

@mwinteringham and @sarah1 are on hand to answer any questions you might have or offer support when needed.

6 Likes

It’s a bit off-topic, but still teaching-related. Just wanted to share and perhaps discuss :slight_smile:.

In the middle of September, I’m running a 3-hour workshop live for 100 people. Out in a field in a forest. So I don’t have the visual aids and tools we normally think of. Still a good exercise to practice teaching skills, learning objectives and focus on learning from the back of the “room”. Can’t be everywhere :wink:

Cheers to the Class of 99minutes workshops season 2 - all the best on your prep!

3 Likes

Hello everybody - and thank you, Mark, for creating this topic! I think I’m gonna be a regular here :smiley:

Any tips or tricks on how to follow the chat and interact with people without losing track of your talk?

5 Likes

@baysha it depends what you mean by follow the chat. I always like to do a quick chat review to see if any questions have been asked after completing a section of my workshop.

But also keep in mind there is a section for asking questions in Crowdcast, so encourage users to use that at the start of the workshop. That way you’ll see very clearly questions being asked that you can then choose when to answer.

3 Likes

@mwinteringham I remember you saying you had a Matching Activity worksheet. Can you share the template please?

1 Like

HI @prescottlewis707 you can find an example matching worksheet here: Activity 1 - Mix and match framework.pdf - Google Drive

1 Like

Anyone got any tips for marketing their course? What’s the best channels for finding pro members and getting them excited about your workshop?

1 Like

@prescottlewis707 are you Pro yourself? There is a section for Pro members on The Club that we could take advantage of if you want?

Hello again!
I need help figuring out what to do while people do activities. Do I babble? Sit in awkward silence? Keep nagging them about their progress? Neither sounds quite right, honestly…

I have a few recommendations:

1. Have people output their work / ideas onto a collaborative board (Think Miro board, or similar). That way you can react to what people add and discuss them.
  2. If the activity doesn’t require them to do that. Simply putting some music on in the background can be really good.
  3. Also consider doing the activity yourself, perhaps not talking all the way through it as that might be distracting. But lead by example?

Any other thoughts?

1 Like

Thank you, Mark!
I’m already doing 1 and 3 but there was still time where people were a bit stuck and I was waiting for them to figure it out. Music is a great idea!

Just gone pro again. @mwinteringham What’s the section you are talking about?

@prescottlewis707 you can find it here:

https://club.ministryoftesting.com/c/mot-pro/46

1 Like

Would good if you could automate the invoice process for 99 minute workshops. By sending the amount of attendees to the person who ran the workshop so an invoice can be raised.

Thanks in advance

Hi @prescottlewis707

Unfortunately due to the way Crowdcast works this isn’t possible. We extract the live attendee numbers from their but their API doesn’t give us access to that data, hence why it has to be done manually.

We have a couple more 99 Minute Workshops to run and then we’ll be in touch with numbers for everyone.

1 Like