Ask Me Anything: Getting Hired

Today we were joined by the best in the business, @erindonnelly, a tech recruiter with a wealth of knowledge, for an incredibly useful and enlightening Ask Me Anything session all about Getting Hired.

If you miss the live session, a recording will be available on the Ministry of Testing website for all MoT members once we’ve edited it and added captions.

Resources

Here are the resources mentioned during the session:

Unanswered Questions:

Here are the unanswered questions we didn’t get to.

• In many situations, the JD is the same as my skillset. But I am a global mobility visa. if I want to get a job here, it requires sponsorship. How to get a job with sponsorship?

• What’s the best way to gain test automation experience in a manual testing job?

• Are test portfolios of use for job search? Are hirers asking to see these more often?

• When someone doesn’t get the job they’ve interviewed for, how can we help them deal with a feeling of rejection?

• When someone doesn’t get the job they’ve interviewed for, how can we help them deal with a feeling of rejection?

• I am attempting to move into/ find roles in a more Strategic Quality Management position and am struggling to articulate this on my CV. Can you advise on some key phrases or structures that appeal to Hiring Managers/ C-Suite/ Director levels?

• I have an experience of 12+ years in QA. Its been more than 10 years since I attended an interview.I am not much aware of what employers in the current market are looking for with my level of experience at senior level. I have experience in manual, DB, performance, A/B, automation,accessibility, OWASP security e.t.c. I just mentioned only few things here. Since I work in a small company which is into web application development I got access to lot of technologies and learning new stuff from internally one of the reasons I haven’t switched along with comfort level of working although I am paid very less. # If i have to start preparing for interviews from scratch for automation(which i am lagging behind) what should I focus on and to what depth should I prepare since my number of years experience is more. # I am team leader at my current position but what roles will be available for my experience # Down the line in 5-6 years what should be my long term goal for what job position

• What sort of technical ability would you be looking for in a junior developer for their first role?

• Are you able to comment on the contractor market currently?

• What is the best way to target jobs with Visa sponsorship or relocation assistance? How do Recruitment agencies/ Recruiters work for these particular candidates?

Erin will try to answer as many of these questions as possible over the coming days. But can you help with any unanswered questions from the session?

If I missed any resources or you thought of a question you’d like to ask on this topic, why not add it to this thread?

3 Likes

*** In many situations, the JD is the same as my skillset. But I am a global mobility visa. if I want to get a job here, it requires sponsorship. How to get a job with sponsorship?**

This question is similar to another I have answered, but I would recommend checking out the Gov list of companies that can offer sponsorship and applying to these organisations. A lot of companies tend to be more willing to offer sponsorship when someone has already relocated to the UK which I appreciate is not possible for everyone.

Speaking with agency/external recruiters could also help to know what exactly the issue is (if any) or if they know more locally who is willing to offer sponsorship.

*** What’s the best way to gain test automation experience in a manual testing job?**

There are many actual Testers who have done this and who can answer this question better than me. But, anecdotally, the people I speak to tend to use their spare time to create a POC for automation testing/test frameworks and then bring it to the team, and sometimes this is a way to get buy in for automation in the team.

I would look at open source/free tools and technologies that you can use to develop automated tests, bring them to the team and suggest how the introducing this can help reduce time to test. With a business, it’s all about how it benefits them, so I would look at this angle when trying to advocate automation testing.

Sometimes linking up with a developer and getting them to show you the ropes and help you also works.

*** Are test portfolios of use for job search? Are hirers asking to see these more often?**

Not really. Companies tend not to ask for portfolios in general, unless its more for design roles. These are definitely a bonus but I don’t see an increase in companies wanting or expecting this.

*** When someone doesn’t get the job they’ve interviewed for, how can we help them deal with a feeling of rejection?**

I think everyone feels the sting of rejection, but the important thing is to remember that being rejected doesn’t mean they don’t think you can ‘do’ the role, or that you are a bad fit, or unsuitable at testing, it often just means that someone else matches the requirements a little more than you. It also takes a level of practice, but remembering it’s not personal is really important. Focus on the feedback if you receive any, let the positive feedback boost you, and the constructive feedback as areas to improve for next time!

*** I am attempting to move into/ find roles in a more Strategic Quality Management position and am struggling to articulate this on my CV. Can you advise on some key phrases or structures that appeal to Hiring Managers/ C-Suite/ Director levels?**

I can’t recommend key phrases but I can recommend what companies may be looking for in a more senior/strategy focused role.

I would suggest focusing your experience on how you have driven quality, and driven people in the business to do so, as a lot of strategy once decided is getting people to carry out your aims, and the success of this. Again, remember businesses care about the benefit to them - so did this save money, reduce waste, generate more customers or profit etc.

*** I have an experience of 12+ years in QA. Its been more than 10 years since I attended an interview. I am not much aware of what employers in the current market are looking for with my level of experience at senior level. I have experience in manual, DB, performance, A/B, automation, accessibility, OWASP security e.t.c. I just mentioned only few things here. Since I work in a small company which is into web application development I got access to lot of technologies and learning new stuff from internally one of the reasons I haven’t switched along with comfort level of working although I am paid very less. # If i have to start preparing for interviews from scratch for automation (which i am lagging behind) what should I focus on and to what depth should I prepare since my number of years experience is more. # I am team leader at my current position but what roles will be available for my experience # Down the line in 5-6 years what should be my long term goal for what job position**

This is a really difficult question(s) as it’s so subjective, but I will do my best! For automation testing, I would a) look at the market and the current tools and tech being used, and speak to people who are currently in this space and b) look at where your strengths and experience lie and shape it that way (no point learning and doing stuff you hate). As to what depth you should prepare to - more is always better when it comes to interviews, and I would never assume because you are more senior that it will be an easy interview for you and you don’t need to prepare.

As I don’t know your experience I can’t really comment on the second question, but there are many Lead or Manager roles out there that don’t require lots of automation experience in order to guide and lead those who do carry out automated testing.

Again, I can’t answer where you want to be in 5 - 6 years, that’s up to you!

*** What sort of technical ability would you be looking for in a junior developer for their first role?**

Not sure if this means a Developer, or a Junior SDET or Junior Tester, so I’ll answer all three, but the common denominator is someone who is eager to learn and is coachable, and has a basic level of skills required for the role (e.g. Java for a Java Dev). Soft skills are definitely very important - can you communicate well, deal with conflict, manage priorities?

For a Developer - exposure to tech required, and some evidence of this in your CV (projects, Github etc.), as well as ideally some understanding of the environment you might be working in (mobile apps, cloud based platforms etc.) and maybe some tools like Jira. Some evidence of being able to work in a group would also be useful.

For a Junior SDET - experience developing automation tests in the specific language/IDE/framework, and maybe some experience editing and maintaining automation frameworks.

For an entry-level Tester - manual testing experience, ideally across functional and non-functional testing, knowledge of test plans and some understanding of test strategy (though no expectation to have contributed to it).

*** Are you able to comment on the contractor market currently?**

It’s still there, although as with the whole market is a bit quieter at the moment - it’s a little more of a who you know market, where some contracts don’t get advertised and companies just offer it to who they worked with before if they know they work well, which is why you often see repeat companies on a contractors CV.

With IR35, more companies are continuing (rightly or wrongly) with a blanket statement that all roles are inside IR35 which a lot of contractors don’t love.

*** What is the best way to target jobs with Visa sponsorship or relocation assistance? How do Recruitment agencies/ Recruiters work for these particular candidates?**

As with my first question, I would recommend look at the UK Gov website and applying to those orgs as we know they are able to offer sponsorship. Relocation assistance is something some companies offer, but it doesn’t tend to be advertised - but ask whoever you initially speak to. Consider if its a need or a want as that may narrow down relevant orgs.

The way recruiters work for those who need sponsorship is no different to how we work with other candidates - if there’s a role that fits that offers sponsorship, we would reach out. You might sometimes feel frustrated if a recruiter posts jobs you are a good fit for, but doesn’t seem to be reaching out to you, but 9/10 times it’s because the role won’t offer sponsorship and they know this, so know its not worth your time.

2 Likes