Day 22: Attend the AMA on "Getting Hired" and ask one question you have on this topic

Today’s task focuses on getting the most out of the relaunch of our ever-popular “Testing Ask Me Anything” (AMA) webinars. This month’s topic is “Getting Hired” with @erindonnelly , a highly experienced Software Tester Recruiter who will share valuable insights and answer your burning questions about the job market, recruitment process, and more!

Task 22:

1. Register for the webinar: if you haven’t already, register to join the AMA on our site to secure your spot. You’ll also need to register on Crowdcast, the platform we’re using to host the event. Note that this is a separate registration from our site.

2. Prepare your questions: Before the live webinar, take some time to think about any questions you have regarding getting hired as a software tester. Whether you’re curious about industry trends, CV tips, interview preparation, or negotiating job offers, Erin is here to provide expert guidance based on her extensive experience. Feel free to submit your questions in advance on Crowdcast in the Q&A tab to ensure they are addressed during the session.

3. Join the webinar: At 11.30 am UTC, access the Crowdcast platform using the details provided during registration.

4. Ask your question: Take advantage of the “Q&A” tab in Crowdcast to submit your question during the webinar. You can ask your question at any time, even before the session starts. Additionally, if you see questions from others that interest you, you can upvote them to show your interest.

5. Engage in the conversation: During the live webinar, Erin will answer as many questions as possible within the allotted time. Pay attention to her insights and engage with others in the chat. You may gain valuable information that can shape your approach to the job market and the hiring process.

6. Follow up in the Club forum: If, for any reason, your question remains unanswered during the live event, don’t worry! Erin will be committed to addressing any remaining questions in the following days. These unanswered questions will be posted to the Club forum, where you can find Erin’s responses and continue the conversation.

This AMA is an excellent opportunity to gain insider knowledge and expert advice on getting hired as a software tester. Come prepared with your questions and engage in a lively and informative conversation with Erin.

See you there!

4 Likes

I will catch up on the recording because i had an unexpected appointment.

3 Likes

Erin is based in Edinburgh and has worked in the recruitment industry having 4.5 years working for an external recruiter. A keen community member supporting all sorts of MoT events and the testing community.

• Avoid putting down every single tool you’ve had exposure to.
  • Write a bit about the particular project and give context about the responsibilities
  • Instead of “introduced automation testing” use numbers such as “Decreased time to test to x” or “added y% of automated tests”
  • Someone without testing experience/expertise may be reading your CV/Resume
  • Candidate-driven market = There are more jobs in the market than there are candidates. You as the candidate are coming in with your choice. Although it might not feel like it for some.
  • Use “I” instead of “We”
  • Cover letters aren’t worth the time. The information should be on your CV. However, if you’re new to testing or a career changer then they are useful as you can flag your transferable skills. Try to create a portfolio to demonstrate what you’ve done.
  • Amplify that you are part of a community. Speak to people in the community about what they are up to.
  • There is no robot that sifts through CVs. It’s done by human recruiters. Recruiters will use a boolean search for keywords.
  • There’s more of a focus on a Quality Engineer – educate the wider teams, and implement new processes.
  • There is a trend that hiring is more reactive (within smaller to medium-sized businesses) – which means they aren’t in a position to hire people to upskill/train and instead need people who are “ready to go/hit the ground running”.
  • Accessibility testing has become more of a focus
  • Look at what the job description asks and not necessarily the title. Be willing to apply.
  • Ask for feedback if not successful. Some organisations just don’t offer feedback - don’t take it personally.
  • Being rejected doesn’t mean you can’t do the job
  • Be comfortable with the minimum salary of your range when you share it.
  • An organisation wants to make sure your expectations align with the company’s as there’s no point continuing the process if not.
  • Go through the interviews and reassess salary expectations during the process
  • A client typically gives a salary range to a recruiter.
  • Size of CV/Resume should respect the years of experience. Find a balancing act if you’ve had many years of experience. Focus on sharing important information. No more than 5 pages long. Yet don’t compromise it to 2 pages cos you think you need to.
  • Tailor your CV/Resume if you can. Use a good solid main CV. Add a summary.
  • Portfolios should include engagement with a professional community, blog writing, speaking, showing evidence of your testing efforts. Portfolios are a bonus and give you an advantage.
  • Some companies have a real understanding of what they want and some companies aren’t sure what they want
  • There is a list on the UK government site for companies that can offer sponsorship
  • Some companies are happy to talk on the phone to give feedback. Some can’t give feedback due to legal reasons for documenting information. Be bold and ask for feedback, usually over email and not immediately at the end of the interview.

Thanks to Erin for sharing a whole treasure trove of helpful advice. The recording will be available soon enough to revisit.

6 Likes

Thank you, Simon, and thanks to Erin and MoT. This was an excellent webinar, something that fits right in with the purpose of this 30-day challenge we are on.

2 Likes

Thanks Simon I’m making notes from what you have written.

1 Like

I liked Erin’s candid answers, and many good insights from a different perspective than my usual ones of candidate or hiring manager.

Among many other things, I liked the point that job adverts and job descriptions are different things, I will look out for that.

I also appreciated the reassuring answer to my own question on CV length - 2 pages isn’t a cast-iron rule :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For those who couldn’t attend the live AMA or want to rewatch, the recording of the AMA is now on our site. Watch @erindonnelly address a multitude of questions raised by the community here

1 Like