Bloggers Club October 2021 – How We Hacked a Tool to Make It Work for Us

Sometimes the tools we use don’t quite fit the bill. So we work around them and find nifty hacks to make them work for our context. These hacks can make all the difference, even if the tool wasn’t intended to do just that.

This month I challenge you to write about:

How We Hacked a Tool to Make It Work for Us

Use October to reflect on the hacks you have in place or try something new. Share an example of a hack you use to make the tool work for you and your team. What problem did you face and why did you chose to tweak the existing tool functionality? Share some of the challenges of doing so and the benefits that came with the hack. :hammer_and_wrench:

How to get involved

• Write a blog on the above topic any time in October, by the 31st :writing_hand:
  • It can be as long or as short as you want it to be
  • Share a link to the blog on this thread :eyes:
  • Receive lots of support, encouragement, and love from the community :heart:
  • If you want to get reminders to submit your blog, RSVP below :calendar:

Inspire yourself to inspire others. Good luck!

3 Likes

Here’s my response - thanks very much for prodding me to do this. Don’t know if it’s the kind of thing you were thinking of. Using tools in interesting ways (tool hacking) – Random Tech Thoughts

4 Likes

Sorry if this has come up already somewhere else, but someone left it as a comment on Twitter.

“If you cannot think of three ways of abusing a tool, you do not understand how to use it.”

Gerald M. Weinberg, An Introduction to General Systems Thinking

2 Likes

Absolutely! This is great, Bob. Thank you for sharing. :smiley:

I like the theme of how one tool can help another.

1 Like