Compare and contrast two similar tools – 30 Days of Tools, Day 22

Hey, it’s Day 22 of the 30 Days of Tools challenge. Time to dig into your comparison skills.

Compare and contrast two similar tools

• What two similar tools would you like to compare?
  • How will you compare them?
  • What was the result of your comparison?

Feel free to reply to this post and share wherever you like, on the MoT Slack, LinkedIn, Twitter using #30DaysOfTools, Racket, your blog, with your team and any place you feel might inspire yourself and others to do the same. Let’s learn from each other throughout October. Visit the 30 Days of Tools page and select the “Subscribe to Topic” button to receive each daily challenge direct to your inbox.

:point_right: Have you seen the amazing schedule and registered for Test.bash();?

It’s on October 28th, 10am-10pm UK time. Available with a Pro Subscription or you can purchase a ticket.

1 Like

I was snooping around to find what Postman’s competition looks like and I came across a tool called the Advanced REST Client - it’s an Electron app, open sourced and available on GitHub.

Basically I compared the two tools by checking the features they have and trying them out.

While there is a lot of overlap this tool is still no match for Postman, but for those with very simple API testing needs it might come in-handy. ARC has a very nice looking interface, if you’re into minimalism.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to try out mitmproxy. It’s a favourite tool of one of my colleagues.

I use Charles as my default proxy tool. But I wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

Similarities

• core functionality
  • ease of use

Differences

mitmproxy

• open source
  • good for scripting
  • lot of good script based functionality
  • very customisable (via scripts)

Charles

• good UI
  • requires paid license
  • beginner friendly
  • less scripting
  • easy to setup with mobile phones and emulators for mobile app testing.
2 Likes

Selenium and Playwright

Feature by feature
Features the other doesn’t have
Pros and cons

I will probably use Selenium till the day I leave my current job, but I really like how quick Playwright is to setup, and run. It is also a very quick driver.

3 Likes