What tool doesn’t exist that you would love to see? – 30 Days of Tools, Day 17

Welcome to Day 17 of the 30 Days of Tools challenge. And welcome to the future! :crystal_ball:

What tool doesn’t exist that you would love to see?

• Share a tool idea that would really help you on a day-to-day basis that, as far as you’re aware, doesn’t exist right now
  • What special features would it have?
  • What problem/s does this future tool solve?

Feel free to reply to this post and share wherever you like, on the MoT Slack, LinkedIn, Twitter using #30DaysOfTools, Racket, your blog, with your team and any place you feel might inspire yourself and others to do the same. Let’s learn from each other throughout October. Visit the 30 Days of Tools page and select the “Subscribe to Topic” button to receive each daily challenge direct to your inbox.

:point_right: Have you seen the amazing schedule and registered for Test.bash();?

It’s on October 28th, 10am-10pm UK time. Available with a Pro Subscription or you can purchase a ticket.

1 Like

I’d love a tool that automate MoT Checklist for Testing Web Page Functionality: checklist for testing web page functionality | Ministry of Testing I did Cypress function to check some but it is not perfect. I want something between Cypress and BugMagnet.

• In my imagination: I’m on the web site, I click on “MoTMagnet” (could be another name), I choose if it is a date, number,… then it runs one by one checklist points and I “just” have to click “ok” “ko”, than I will have a report with all KO and can import it into JIRA (or Mantis or…) to create bugs :heart_eyes: (with console logs and screenshots).

It will improve my covering case with manual testing and I will gain so much time with bug reporting.
I have this dream and hope it will be reality :sleeping_bed: If you do such kind of extension for sure I will give you :star: (and all my support: I can test you tool, give you feedback, share it to other testers…).

3 Likes
  • A tool to measure test coverage for API testing, which would indicate which parts of an openAPI/swagger file have been covered
  • Coverage would cover routes, but also responses and input types
  • would help ensure that the API checks are in place
4 Likes

Tooling to test Microservices infrastructure from a component level would really be the next big thing.

Given the tech is now pretty well established, I think a tool that can bypass initial setup and provide you an easy way to do the following, would be a great start

• access the variety of Microservices components
  • execute tasks on them
  • easily add and manage test data.
  • monitor the performance and view logs

Currently from what I’ve seen, every company has its own set of utilities that testers and devs use. But a common tooling would really help get past ops blockers and concentrate on testing.

3 Likes

Tough questions but here’s a magical answer XD

• A tool which automatically tests based on Acceptance Criteria.
  • It would also automatically writes CORRECT Acceptance Criteria XD

More test coverage and more automation with less effort! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe something like this exists, but I’d like a tool that checks my API schema and generates the requests with all the different field combinations for me.

Test data creation, with a whole lot of variations covered.

Saves a lot of time and avoids incorrect test values, caused by human errors.

Richard and I had a bit of catch up, but we managed to cover Day 17 in this live stream:

2 Likes

Have you seen Dredd?

https://dredd.org/en/latest/

This has some basic capabilities similar to those you describe.

2 Likes

It might have been Dredd I was thinking of. I did some research across a few different tools and I seem to remember looking over this.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll go check out Dredd! :smiley:

A test management tool that is a pleasure to use. I haven’t found one yet.

Easy to use editing tools for your test write ups. Easy way to set like a parent test that you can extend into more specific ones that is a breeze to use. Nice ways to link this to automated tests.

Making the documentation part of my job easier so I can focus on the harder things.

2 Likes