I have been trying to compare three JIRA(plug-in, add-ons) for test case management. Namely Testrail, Zephyr, and Test Management for JIRA.
For me cost and Bi-directional traceability is most important. Can you guys please share your experience. Certainly these are not the only two points im considering.
One more thing I want to know that how requirement management will be done using this combination, I mean by Using JIRA plus tools I have mentioned above
This is one of the major questions now a days where we need to choose the Test case management tool. We need to choose a tool which best matches our QA process, demand and a Test case Management tool that best matches our requirements & works for us.
There are different tools of Jira those can be used for Test Case management.
- Test Management for Jira
One of the most common tools used for Test case management at earlier stages of development of many top software testing companies is TestRail.
This tool helps us to manage and track the software testing efforts, organize and coordinate our entire testing process. It has intuitive web-based user interface making it easier for creating test cases, managing test runs and for coordinating our entire testing process.
TestRail allows us to perform following tasks apart from creating test cases:
- Execution of testing based on created test scenarios.
- Report a bug and upload it to integrated bug trackers such as GitHub, JIRA, YouTrack and others.
- Making comprehensible and informative reports.
- It integrates with test automation tools, issue trackers and more, including Bugzilla, Jira, BugTracher, GitHub, YouTrack, ect.
Zephyr is a JIRA plugin that has good test case management system which is widely used as it comes with the Jira integration. This Jira and Zephyr combination provides a full service as per the functionality of test management tools.
Features of Zephyer are as follows:
- We can create a test plan.
- We can clone the Test Cases and it also allows us to clone the whole test cycle.
- We can execute test cases.
- We can generate reports of the Test Cases.
- We can immediately create a bug if the test product s behaving wrong.
- Other team members or colleagues can also provide the feedback by commenting on the test cases.
Another plugin of Jira is Test Management which is also used for test planning, tracking, reporting and executing the test cases.
Features of Test Management are as follows:
- Integration with Jira.
- We need not to learn or switch among different applications for working on Test Management.
- Test Management is perfect for agile and traditional testing approach.
- We can reuse the created test cases across the project fro regression using Test Management.
- Test Management saves the time and enhances the productivity.
Hope this information is helpful for you.
You can give my software, Test Collab a try- http://testcollab.com
We have bi-directional integration with Jira and we have free plans too. For requirement management you can use either use our inbuilt requirement management or even use Jira for requirement management.
Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive reply.
You might want to use Kualitee for your test & defect management needs. The tool supports both manual and Automation testing. It has integration with Selenium for test automation and Jenkins & Bitbucket pipelines for release management.
The tool also integrates with JIRA . Lets you sync all issue types and you can also map all your JIRA custom fields with this tool. It’s pretty hectic by luckily a one time effort though.
The tool is also free for a small team of 3 people or add up to 10 user for $45. You can create tester, developer and QA manager profiles as per your need.
The tool itself is a simpler version of HP ALM. You can create, manage and execute your test cases and optionally add any bug with it. The tool also has it’s own defect management module where you can log and track issues.
For me the dashboard is the best feature because it provides insights on your test cases, executions, trend analysis, and bug severity and status.
We also do our reporting through the tool as we can customize our test and bug reports in-app.