Zephyr - easy to use?

Hi All,

I need to find a test management tool that we can integrate with our source control, currently the company uses a very old version of TFS for one project, and bitbucket for another (don’t ask why as I will cry)

So I like an honest review of Zephyr, as while I am not a massive fan of tools, my project uses a lot of UAT testers who want/need test steps, and also work remotely so its difficult at times to get updates on progress.

Also what is the support like for implementation, as it will be myself doing it…if we go for it

We use the Zephyr add-on for JIRA where I work. It does implement test cycles ok but I’m quite disappointed with it. It could be just the way we have it configured.

1. Its focus is on traditional ways of testing - creating and importing test cases in advance, allocating them to cycles and linear execution. In that respect it is pretty rigid and prescriptive.

2. It has a limited set of test reports which we have never found that useful.

3. It ties cycles to releases, not sprints, which can make test case and defect tracking awkward if you aren’t following a “1 release per sprint” schedule.

Hi,

Thanks for this, given that we are in sprints and releasing sometimes twice
a day that makes it almost a non runner.

We focused Zephry and TestRail when we started to select a TM tool for our company. We used both of them for 1 sprint. Whole test team except 1 test engineer selected TestRail as a TM tool and for two years we are happy with TestRail. It has fast UI, clean interface, two-way JIRA integrations. Also, you can organize your tests much better. I also explained our TestRail usage here: https://www.swtestacademy.com/agile-test-management-testrail/ Also you can check its Selenium integration here: https://www.swtestacademy.com/selenium-testrail-jira-integration/

Yep, just as my two cents’ worth wanted to add that we also chose Practitest because they have a great support and nowadays it is rare to find.

2 Likes

Hi Nichole,

Don’t know if you made a decision yet but today I am busy setting up/learning/teaching Zephyr right now.

I have used Enterprise Test Manager & VSTS Test Manager but Zephyr is by far the cheapest option out of the three. I have to say you do get what you pay for but having said that it seems relatively easy to set up and provides very clear reporting.

@paulmaxwellwalters is absolutely right about his review of the product which it seems upon scrolling down this product might not work with your teams style.

Our team I think will benefit from using this tool even with its limitations.

Hope you found the right tool for the job.

Cheers Kim

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for feedback, I am trying zepher but its release structure isnt going to fit for us as we are two builds a day (fast team which is good) which is a shame as it is good value and the other parts are good.

Practitest is also good but too expensive for us…so I am still looking

Good luck let us know if you find a tool that suits :+1:

Zephyr is one of the best Test case management solutions for any software testing company. Zephyr offers several features like Test right inside the Jira, Integrate automation and CI tool and Track quality matrix. Zephyr comes in integration with Jira Software bringing capabilities of test cases management to Jira. Using Zephyr with Jira allows us to add Test cases related to any issue from different projects in order that it can be executed immediately and a detailed report can also be fetched using customized gadgets.

Test case writing/editing is very easy in Zephyr. We can also import the test cases created in Excel file. It is also very easy to organize test cases in Zephyr by Project, by Version or by component so that user can easily fetch the test cases to execute and update. User has also the right to delete the created Test Case if needed in Zephyr.

User can also track the Test Case progress using Zephyr. A ‘Test Summary’ page provides all the progress and status of test case so that user can have clear picture of the overall progress.

In conclusion, we can say that Zephyr may seem little not too easy software to be used at first but once we get our hands on it, this is one of the best we will find to work with.

Hope this information is helpful for you.

Hi @nquinn,
Just curious, did you start using Zephyr or any other test case management tool?

Hello!how its going?
which one test management tool do you use now ?