Which features of a test management tool that make you use it?

(Kelvin Tran) #1

I’m searching for a testing management tool which is listed as “the best one”. I need your advices and your thoughts about the tool you are using. And would you like to answer this question: " Which features of a test management tool that make you choose/use them?" Thank you guys!

(Jesper) #2

There is no “best one”, but there is probably a best fit for your situation.

Some projects I do involve a range of business users doing testing, here some tools shine with features like mobile versions and automatic screen capture.
Some projects I do involve large code bases in Visual Studio and agile interactions with the developers. Here linking work items together is important.

there is TestRail, VSTS, Panaya, Plutora, Tricentis Tosca and many more…

(Kelvin Tran) #3

Thanks for your useful info. And can I ask you a question? Which feature of a test management tool that make use it?

(Jesper) #4

sure :slight_smile: I prefer tools that have a requirements module (or integrations to the same), a hierarchy of test activities, tests (scripts, cases… YMMV) and bugs (or a reference to bug tracker). Most of the above tools have this.
But what make me choose the final tool is a matter of project context.

(Michelle) #5

We have been using Kualitee for our test & bug management needs for quite some time now. The tool supports both manual and Automation testing. It has integration with Selenium for test automation and Jenkins & Bitbucket pipelines for release management.

The tool is also free for a small team of 3 people or add up to 10 user for $45. You can create tester, developer and QA manager profiles as per your need.

The tool itself is a simpler version of HP ALM. You can create, manage and execute your test cases and optionally add any bug with it. The tool also has it’s own defect management module where you can log and track issues.

The tool also integrates with JIRA . Lets you sync all issue types and you can also map all your JIRA custom fields with this tool. It’s pretty hectic by luckily a one time effort though.

For me the dashboard is the best feature because it provides insights on your test cases, executions, trend analysis, and bug severity and status.

We also do our reporting through the tool as we can customize our test and bug reports in-app.

(Wayne) #6

We used Testlink at my last company integrated with our bug tracking tool (Trac).
After the pain of moving projects from excel to Testlink the major pluses were:

Requirements capture
Stats for tests
Having change control on test cases
Being able to quickly produce new test plans for similar products
Being able to produce formal test reports fit for customer.

Pros:
Open source so easily modified

Cons:
Open source so don’t expect much from raising bug / enhancement requests