What's your favourite & least favourite test management tool and why?

Hi,

Just wanted to start discussion on whatā€™s your favourite & least favourite test management and why.

My Favourite test management tool :+1:

Xray because.

Note: Iā€™ve only started using it for a week as trial but really digging it.

1. Integrated Jira very well - everyone can see STLC progress - test creation to execution
  2. Dev ops Friendly and enable to use BBD well
  3. Useful traceability
  4. I havenā€™t used much reporting as yet, seems to provide alot of options & customization.

My Least Favourite test management tool :-1:

Testrail because:

1. There is no good way to have traceability and integrations with Jira were limited
  2. Not scaleability for large projects with more 1000 tests with multi folders/suites of tests
  3. UI/UX makes to hard to search, edit & prevent dupes
  4. Reporting was very limited and slow to produce

So whatā€™s your favourite & least favourite test management and why?

1 Like

Favourite:
Any business Wikipedia like I pointed here out:

Iā€™m also fine with doing notes on the normal issues. In that case I donā€™t need a tool.
(Jira specifically sadly looses data when parallel editing on issue descriptions. The last one saving overwrites all changes. Also therefore I often use Confluence.)

Least:
Any which separates planing, noting, reporting and worsens the collaboration with developers and project managers .
The typical form of steps with actions and expect results which are hard to change on the spot.

1 Like

For one of my former employers, I created a spreadsheet of 40+ Test Management Tools to investigate. In the end we came up with SmartBearā€™s Zephyr and QMetry. For some reason our tech guys couldnā€™t install Zephyr so Option B was QMetry.
QMetry offered the option to working also with not just Atlassian Tools, but also Microsoftā€™s Azure DevOps. Since the company was dropping Atlassian tools, we ended up with QMetry working with MS AzureDevOps.
My next employer on the other hand had successfully implemented Zephyr with Atlassian, and I liked how Zephyr created a ā€˜thirdā€™ column when it came to Test Case development.
You had: Action Steps Column / Data Column / Results Column
This was great and I adapted quite well, too.
They had Test Cases linked to the JIRA Tickets and vice-versa.
Organizing a full spread of Regression Test Case Suites was brilliantly executed
There was absolutely complete flexibility and elasticity in how one could organize the Test Management Dashboard and all features needed for Test Management.

Since I work at Testuff, and use Testuff to test ā€¦ Testuff, itā€™s my favorite test management tool :slight_smile:
It has all a tester, and developer, (and manager), would want in a test management solution. That includes all features you can think of, integration with dozens of other tools (bug trackers, automation, project management and others), thereā€™s a Jira App to use to get all of the tests details (executions, defects, etc.) directly within Jira issues. And thereā€™ much more. So it practically covers anything a team needs, no matter their testing project size, method or workflow.
Biased of course, but our clients will sign on this statementā€¦

If you are in a microsoft shop doing azure cloud or similar c# projects my favorite tool would be the same ADO test plans. As a general heuristic my favorite would be what ever is closest to the dev work being tested.

1 Like

I like qase and Testomat as they are quite simple to run and build test cases with. Integrating automated test cases were easy as well.
Iā€™ve grown to dislike Tricentis for JIRA. At first I thought it was good since it was already built into JIRA and can easily integrate test cases with requirements and tickets. It also had reusable steps. However, the problem was there was no preview for the reusable steps and the updating the tickets took so long.

Favourite: a notebook(physical or app - SublimeText/Notepad++, Evernote or similar);
I also think Confluence is an ok middle ground, although not all companies use it or want to pay for it for testing only.

Least Favourite: anything else;
The more ā€˜featuresā€™ it has the slower the app, the slower I am at navigating, the slower I am at adding data, and the slower everyone is at finding and understanding it; the more someone gets annoyed that itā€™s missing a dozen of ā€˜neededā€™ features.

2 Likes