Jira Testing tool

Good morning to you All :wave:

I started in a new company, and everyone is using Jira, but all the test cases are written in confluence. (I have no experince in Jira)
My idea for the testing would be to write and report all in Jira, I worked before with Visual Studio Test Manager, and this was an excellent tool.

My challenge is to create the best way to work with Jira and make a full circle of transparently.
Any tip of you all would be very appreciated

Cheers Silvia

5 Likes

Many test case management tools integrate with Jira - TestRail, Zephyr, XRay…

7 Likes

Eva is right, just search the plugin marketplace there is a bunch of them. I used Xray and Testrail and they were both good. I also used Qualitest, it’s cheaper but with less features.

3 Likes

Very nice!

How much budget do you have? :stuck_out_tongue:
As baysha said there are many management tools that integrate with JIRA. You just have to find the one that fits your needs.

3 Likes

We want to work with the best (Budget has not a big role int the moment :wink:).

2 Likes

Hi @soconnor2017 , is the Ministry of Testing Tool Directory on your radar?

While that doesn’t directly address your request with advice, perhaps exploring some of the tools on the directory might give you some ideas for your requirements and ambitions. For sure not all the tools there are JIRA related yet some are.

Good luck exploring.

3 Likes

My previous job we used MSTMS - Microsoft Test Management Studio / VSO, and dreamed to use JIRA.

Now we are using JIRA I want to go back to MSTS / VSO :joy:

In truth Jira is good if you configure it for your needs as opposed to your managers (as with all tools).

If not dictated to on your tooling - use what is best for the team!

4 Likes

@clittlefair have you ever used Azure DevOps, the Test Plans (to me it’s an improved version of the old Team Foundation Server) in particular? That might have a more of a similar feel to MSTMS, compare to Jira.

3 Likes

Hi, I can suggest you to check Testuff test management as a possible alternative. Easily setup a two-way integration with Jira. And since I work for Testuff (transparency…) I can even give you a heads up on a new Jira addon we’re working on, with which you’ll be able to see your (Testuff) tests within Jira.
Most important - good luck with your new company!

2 Likes

Which Jira do you use? Jira Cloud or Jira Server ? If you use Jira Cloud then the XRay for example is free, easy to install and straight forward. You won´t want to go back to any of Microsoft Management Tool (I am an ex User of TFS). For the Server Version of Jira there are also plug ins but I am not sure they are free. It has been a long time that we migrated on to a Jira Cloud so I am not up-to-date on tooling and plug ins regarding Jira Server

2 Likes

Yeah, we also found it better to hook up Jira to another system (aqua cloud ALM in my case) because Jira sucks in so many ways. Especially lack of features that essential for testers and you never know how much you will need to pay for another add-on.

2 Likes

Hi Silvia, congratulations on your new job. Where I work we use Jira and Zephyr, and it gets the job done. The decision to go with Zephyr was made before I joined the team so I don’t know what alternatives were considered.

2 Likes

@wpost In your opinion, what are the biggest cons of Zephyr? I used it a little, very briefly, and I didn’t have any remarks as it seems very similar to other tools of this kind. But I did hear people complain about.

1 Like

Hey @soconnor2017, the way I think about JIRA having used it extensively, is to use it as a source of truth that contains integrations to all other design, development and testing work happening on that particular card.

In order to facilitate it from the testing side, we had the github integration, for both tests and dev work, that way, you could track it pretty easily. This also includes CI/CD checks that comes out of the box, so you can see the state of your builds within JIRA.

In regards, to the test management tool, I did a full pros/cons list based on the situation at that time (value for money and good API integration), and ended up using testrail as the core tool. You could integrate it with JIRA pretty easily and then have really good reports and APIs that you get out of testrail.

The cost was also very fair to what you get. Really enjoyed that setup and had some good reports and API integrations that would automatically send automation test results from the CI → testrail, etc.

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

The only complaint my fellow testers and I have is that apparently it isn’t possible to set an order for test cases in a cycle, so every time we create a cycle our first task is to manually order the cases in it. That’s an annoyance but not a deal breaker.

Management thought it was expensive and it took some pushing to finally buy the license. That’s not a conversation I was part of so I cannot say how well founded that objection was.

5 Likes

Thanks, for the response!

3 Likes

I think that is quite confusing to say that XRay is free for Cloud, it’s a bit cheaper for Cloud than for Data Center i.e. but def not free. :slight_smile:
Update: maybe we talk diff things, XRay has test management plugin for JIRA which is not free and an exploratory testing tool which seems to be the “free” one

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying and updating your post, @vici . :slightly_smiling_face:

And welcome to the community on The Club. :wave:t2:

2 Likes

Since a while now we use a combination of Confluence (overview, reports, manuals) and plain Jira (per case/topic one issue).
Imo this open/passed/failed… ratio isn’t worth a thing. Just create tickets for testing on regular releases.
You can do test (case) management with very simple, already existing things.
Reports should not be about pure number, but about coverage by topics, risk and relevant details. That is something you have to write, not to count.

For new features we use mostly Jira. I do most of my test planning & reports in the original tickets. Either in the descriptions or in the comments, depends on. I have no scripts.
I exclude (and link) some things to Confluence, partly because the Jira issue description isn’t save for parallel editing.
At least I have no “do X, checkY” in Confluence for new features.

This is an approach how to use only Confluence (I guess many other wikis would do it) I’d love to try one day:

I should make this a blog article which I can link. I keep repeating myself similar to the questions.

4 Likes

Great idea! Sounds like it would be a good way to bring all your answers into one place as a helpful reference for others.

4 Likes