Creating Your Own Tools

Hi everyone, I just wanted to get a feel for how many of us create tools as part of our testing remit.

For example, I have created a couple of tools, mainly for EDI formatting and checking.

What tools have you created, either for physical testing or for supporting tasks like above?

Hi Andy,
I have developed data comparison tools for enterprise data projects using vbscripts.
Also,some other tools for comparing tar files and other text file formats using Java.

1 Like

Thanks @paingicool … How did you find they were received within the business, did you have any issues with InfoSec or IT Operations when using / implementing them?

File copiers, installers, database diffing tools, string parsers, test data generators, date replacement in XML files, dynamic data comparison, integration checks in C#/NUnit, Selenium Webdriver, number generators with high/low progressive mismatch, archiving scripts, directory diff tools, folder watchers, log tailing and alerting, page object frameworks, stress data generators… I’ve probably forgotten more tools than I remember making.

1 Like

Brilliant! I take it you work in a development based organisation. Find it tricky here sometimes as we’re an insurance company and not directly in software dev teams.

@Andy…I have used common open source tools which were compliant with orgnsiation’s policy ,for instance, Java,Apache Maven ,Test NG and even developed another tool using vb scripts which can work on any windows machine so everyone is happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve built several full-blown test frameworks, in Perl, C#, andRuby.

Right now, I’m building an open-source Ruby test framework.

1 Like

With actual documentation! My cynicism collapses before your effortful foresight and I thank you for it.

1 Like

Actually, I recently stumbled onto a wonderful blogpost by cw Richard Kim that inspired me to begin reworking the doc for my GitHub projects.

The smaller project, not RubyTest, will be first. I will post here as I progress.

2 Likes

I’ve always been keen to create my own tools using existing frameworks where they are useful. In my last job I wrote various tools for creating specimen test data and before then wrote a tool for executing and retrieving performance test results from the REST API webpagetest.com.

I’ve always been more eager to use frameworks in my preferred languages as opposed to full test automation applications (i.e. Python Requests or Selenium vs SOAPUI or UFT), except when a particular tool is mandated.

1 Like

Cool question @inkyfreak!

I’ve written tools to facilitate diversity testing (that is, throw lots of requests at a service where the request has diverse data), to demonstrate APIs (mostly a web site that shows the basics but handy for developers as well), and API responders (small APIs written to behave like third-party tools - useful in performance tests and provides great isolation for automation in general).

1 Like