Device Lab Mobile

Hi EveryOne

i am investigating for existing solution to offer possibility to running remotely test on Mobile : iOS, Android and Web,
i know that there is some famous solution as cloud : BowserStack and SauceLabs but i want to explore other :
is there some solution that offer hardware and software to to control this test on real device that we can plugged in my company , something like cabinet in wich we can plugged our device and with specific software we can lunch parallel execution remotely

Thanks in advance
Mourad

We are using Kobiton. One of the reasons are the capability to do what I think that you do. We have only actually used that as a Proof of Concept since we mainly still use the physical device rather than go through Kobiton.

But give it a look. :slight_smile:

Just had a look at the numbers , For the monthly subscription that the good ones ask, we can take the team out for lunch twice a week. Yeah, I am a big fan, and automation in the cloud is a huge time saver, but when exploratory testing still has to happen, the annual testing equipment budget dosnot cover that kind of subscription, and is better spent on a shiney new latest iphone in your hands.

Anyway, that’s my feeling on it even at this trying time where anything is up for grabs suddenly, I hope I’m not the only laggard in the club.

1 Like

@maram_17042013

I’ve combined list of mobile device labs on my GitHub, and you can start here:

About the second part of your question, you can start with Device Farmer (formerly STF).

This way, you can build your mobile device lab in-house.

With Device Farmer, you can control your devices remotely and easily, while also running automated checks on them.

But Device Farmer will help you only with remote control, not with running tests.

As for mobile device labs:

Mobile device labs are getting better with each year, and right now, they are definitely worth the price.

Sauce Labs, for example, they have as much as 206 mobile from which 147 are Android devices.

Quite a few mobile devices that will help take care of mobile device fragmentation problem. Possibly the best list of mobile devices while looking from 2019 perspective.

Examples:

• BQ Aquaris X2
  • Honor 10 Lite
  • Honor 20 Lite
  • Honor Play 8A
  • Huawei P30
  • LG V30
  • LG G7
  • Huawei Mate 10 Pro
  • Huawei P20 Lite
  • HTC U11
  • Sony Xperia XZ

And that’s just one of many device labs that are currently on the market!

Mobile device labs still shouldn’t replace physical devices on our desks.

But they are useful while debugging specific bugs while the team doesn’t have a specific device. It’s way cheaper this way too.

Latest and simplest example. New MIUI 12 dark mode is messing up many forms in mobile apps.

And that’s just one of few custom user interfaces that we need to keep our eyes on.

Examples:

• Samsung TouchWiz
  • Samsung One UI
  • Huawei EMUI
  • MIUI
  • HTC Sense
  • LG UX
  • Google Pixel UI
  • Sony Xperia UI
  • And many more…
2 Likes

Dark mode is a problem, whether you want to support it and be a cool kid, or just leave it and stay ugly is a poser for people with time limits. iPhone is a key use case in my world too, typically we look at usage metrics to find devices.

This looks like a great resource, thanks for sharing.