First Automated Test

What was your first automated test and how did you decide on that?

1 Like

I can honestly not say what it was, but I can say why.

… It was because I needed to run slightly different tests for a long time, and I didn’t want to have to mash buttons. I used some scripting program… auto hotkey or similar.

Within a week, I was doing my scripts with Python.

2 Likes

I’ve done very little automation overall but my first test was signing into a web page. I’ve used it on a few tools to see how hard it is to do. My reasoning was that’s the one journey most users will do.

2 Likes

For me I think it was some batch scripting.
We were challenging each-other(testers) on finding ways to make some endurance testing on the product to identify memory leaks, crashes, etc.
We were sharing the scripts and running them over the weekend on a few local computers.

2 Likes

For me it was very simple. I started to work for a big company, in a project with only C/C++ developers. Nobody had been working with java before and nobody wanted to learn it. Only me … I started writing automated tests in java. I was testing DSLAM over SNMP. And I was using Pegasus test automation framework. Today I am very happy for this chance!

3 Likes

I am still learning automation selenium with python. I was only able to automate navigating to a website on chrome, FF, safari. Determined to learn more by the end of next week.

3 Likes

My first automated test wasn’t actually a test but was the creation of tests data. I used python and selenium to read a CSV file with (fake) customer data that I would then use to create those customers in one of the backend systems. Before that, we needed to do it manually so it saved quite a bit of time. Even though the script I’d written was terrible and unreliable. I should still have it somewhere but I’m afraid to look at it. I might die of shame because of the atrocious code quality…

3 Likes

I was just thrown into a team where it was standard to have an automated test written for each new story.

I didn’t have a clue what was going on, but I was paired with a really kind and evidently patient developer who was able to help me out. It was a test that required a loop index of 48 to account for a change every half an hour, a day.

It was the beginning of about 4½ years of almost exclusively working in automation.

I had a bit of a reaction to that when I changed jobs and stepped back from automation for a while.

Heading back into it now, but now web for the first time!

2 Likes

My first auto test was a visual regression test for a set of online gambling adverts

4 Likes

It was in Selenium and I was automating the use of a WordPress site, it was a form of some kind.

It was in SilkTest and for enhancing existing regression pack for a web application where there were concepts in SilkTest like BaseState (your adefined state/ page of application prefilled with data to start your tests from) Back 15yrs ago!!

1 Like

My first automated script wasn’t really a test.
I had to fill in loads of fields in the UI and so I used this browser addon to fill in all those fields automatically.

I think I used ‘iMacro’ but aaaages ago :stuck_out_tongue: