Forum gamification - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

“Have your cake, and eat it” , wants to come to mind - but only because as a community we have a decent amount of cake now. We have “eyeballs” on us as a community, and great ideas, also some bad ideas, but we have more good ideas because most of us, are builders. I used to like trying to win badges, but that need for recognition got replaced during the big-lockdown with another hobby that taught me a thing. The best rewards are the ones you enjoy ceremonially, and through your own hard work. The best cake is the cake you enjoy in a ceremony of sorts, cake is a reward for hard work. And rest, from hard work is best, when it happens in a set place, in a set time, and often with friends around you.

I’m thinking of the kind of reward you give a child who gets good marks at school, you take them out for a dinner at their favourite restaurant, maybe with their friends, to reward them for their achievement. But you only do this if they work hard. Gamification shortens the gratification cycle, by giving the reward too soon.

And that’s where I like to depart, because the lesson I learned in my lockdown side-hobby of writing game reviews, is that there is a certain reward in getting to the end of each year now and realizing that I have broadened my own horizons and viewpoint by playing games I would not normally play. Simply to be able to practise my writing skills. I have a niche hobby there, and just like all those people who have niche pursuits, we have a very valuable thing to give. And not giving it would be to deny ourselves an outlet or voice for our creativity, and our personal development just because that personal pursuit, does not give “instant rewards”. Rewards are merely a stepping stone taking you from mild milk, to real meat.

1 Like