What’s Your Win For The Week? 27th March 2021

What win(s) do you have this week? Share them here so we can celebrate them with you :tada:

My wins for this week:

• Got some more work done on The Club revamp project
  • Continued to make time for myself to rest and recuperate - I always feel guilty doing this even though I need to!
7 Likes

yup, I’m the same. Good you did it

2 Likes

Totally unplanned, but the check in meeting I had with my manager this week evolved in talking about my ideas on changes to be made in our department, and how I see myself playing a role in executing some of those ideas. I see plenty of opportunities for me to take on new challenges, and grow.

6 Likes

Tough week this has been. Low motivation that I couldn’t pinpoint why it happened.
It took me 5 days to get myself going again.

The only good thing to happen during my low motivation days was the MoT panel last Tuesday on critical thinking. It was so nice to see Jit, Gwen, Elizabeth and to talk about such a nice topic.

7 Likes

Yes! Excellent news Peet :heart:

I think the win in this is that you tried to pinpoint why it happened. That takes a lot of courage :hugs:

2 Likes

Best thread each week!!

• I got to attend a bunch of webinars, including one with @hannadernbrant and @lisa.crispin . I’ve worked out that if I make myself tweet about it, then I will be more on point and not get distracted elsewhere.
  • I had a preview demo of MetroRetro v2. Which I’m keen to use, as whiteboarding is my go to for planning and sorting out my head.
  • Had a debrief from a conference we attended last week, and people said nice things about what I did, which is always nice.
  • I got some sight on our product roadmap, and can start to see where I can actually fit in and make a difference.
  • I started being able to listen to podcasts again! I have a horrific backlog, but I’m so pleased that my brain has unfuzzed enough after more than a year.
7 Likes
  • I finished a initial version of a test policy and test strategy document for a new project and I got good feedback from my fellow testers and the BA team, now to get the management’s blessing.
  • I got a whole sprint to do exploratory testing and to research tools for API automation.
5 Likes

I’ve worked in a few different companies, and have left mostly because I felt undervalued and underutilised.

I started working for my current place last March. I’ve recently been working on a large project and have done all the testing on it in a short timeframe. In a “go-live” meeting with the directors today I told them I don’t recommend it to go live, stated the statistics that lead me to this, and said what should happen for it to get my positive recommendation. We had a discussion around the remaining work and a rough estimate for how long it will take. They then thanked me and said we’d reconvene in 2 weeks and see how we’re doing then. It’s the first time I’ve genuinely been listened to because of my expertise.

Oh, and not this week, but recently, my boss agreed with me that I need a role change to reflect the responsibilities I’ve actually been doing, so we’re gonna come up with a new job spec for the job I’ve been doing and get it made official (with title change and salary update to match).

6 Likes

That’s great to hear Carly. Sounds like you’re in a much better place now than last year

3 Likes

This month I participated in a MoT podcast about accessibility testing. It went live this week.

6 Likes

The absolutely massive deployment that moved our main applications from locally hosted servers to cloud-based servers (and upgraded the hosting servers and databases from obsolete, no longer supported operating systems to something more modern) happened with only minor glitches.

The impact hasn’t fully sunk in yet, but it’s out there, it’s not reversible, and so far all is well.

3 Likes

I gave a lightning talk yesterday at work to illustrate what can happen when you write tests that don’t get run for whatever reason. I think the concept might have surprised a few people, and hopefully those people decided to double-check their build pipelines to make sure their specs are actually being executed.

I also found some potential easy wins for improving our current code coverage and am excited to work on that.

3 Likes

Although I have been struggling under deeper and deeper load exploratory testing functionality that was impossible to automate because it keeps changing faster than one can hope to keep up with, I did have some wins.

1. We re-arranged teams into tribes, and although I’m a bit wary of the move, it’s going to make us so much more productive once we get used to working as tribes
  2. Development org got given more autonomy when it comes to UI/UX change approval, which means more work on my part, but also feels good, since it ties in with addressing my opening gripe
4 Likes

Like a few others, been a week of generally low motivation but there were a few good things

• Got invited along to the company IT wide risk review for the first time due to my Culture of Quality talk and they realised “we should have someone from testing involved”
  • had a great brainstorming session with the wider digital teams on how we can now incorporate exploratory testing in our major release cycles. It’s a dedicated day of testing before our plethora of regression suites are run… it’s a start but a step in the right direction
  • had a couple of intro discussions with keen and passionate people who wanted my help to break into testing or move up in their careers
  • increasingly finding more gaps to have breaks from screen. Managed to get out for 3 daytime walks this week which is almost unheard of
  • had a great walking catchup with an ex colleague. Great to meet up with people which I have shied away from for a while
5 Likes
  • Personal: I have new spectacles (since today), with slightly adapted strength. Since I also went to the hairdresser I can see better and look better (hopefully). Win-Win!
  • Professional:
    • Learned how to monitor a locally running Tomcat for CPU & memory usage
    • Got the performance test suite from a ‘neighbour team’ working running locally. Yay!
2 Likes