If you had a month to train up a new software tester, what would you do?

We’d all love to have a lot of time to train in someone new but sometimes it’s just not possible.

@rosie asked a question on the old Software Testing Club

If you had a month to train up a new software tester, what would you do?

Which inspired @claire.reckless to write an article a few years ago How to Train Up a New Software Tester.

A lot has changed since then! There are a lot more resources available now and original question is buried in the archives.

So I thought I’d ask the community again if you had a month to train up a new software tester, what would you do?

In an ideal world, first thing I would do, would be to get agreement to clear my calendar for atleast the first week or two, so I could mentor and coach the real basics. But we have so many resources available to us nowadays that I would do a few things:

• As part of their onboarding, would get them a months MoT Pro membership to get them started (if we don’t already have licenses).

• Build a list of courses/talks etc which I would recommend them completing as a basic need

• Spend time each day walking them through basic testing concepts, team processes, the product and also introducing them to key people for them to get to know and work with

• Assign them a buddy alongside me who is a peer who can talk to them and work with them without the manager-employee barrier being in the way and allow them to shadow them working as part of the team, eventually allowing them to pick up tasks along the way

• Celebrate every success with them as they complete and grasp a new concept, giving them opportunities to then apply them and sharing with the wider teams

I’d want to ensure they build up a passion for what they are doing and feel like they are part of the team on the same journey as the rest.

3 Likes