Possible mentor or just a helping hand

Hey Peoplesss

I hope you’re doing well! I’m excited to share that I’ve finally realized what I want to pursue in my coding journey: QA & Testing. I’m passionate about ensuring quality in software, and I’m eager to learn and grow in this field.

I’m still quite new to QA & Testing, but I’m highly motivated and ready to dive in. I was wondering if you or someone you know might be willing to mentor me or help me get started. I’m eager to take those first steps and would greatly appreciate any guidance or support.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

6 Likes

Hi and welcome to the MoT Community!

I would suggest starting to read to some content on the website especially: 30 Things Every New Software Tester Should Learn | Ministry of Testing

I always recommend doing the first 3 challenges (YES 3 :eyes:) of:
http://testingchallenges.thetestingmap.org/

These are super fun! :slight_smile:

Happy to spar about things you’d like to learn. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What sort of things are you looking for help and guidance with?
Is it tooling-specific?

2 Likes

Thank you so much will start the journey on that !

So basically i want someone to contact on discord or something that would’nt mind helping me get a proper intro to it considering i am doing self teaching.

I think you’re sort of describing what the new certificate covers. This would be a great place to start in my opinion (depending on your financial situation).

What is your background?
Are you currently working for a company that may pay for that course for you?
Is there a specific area or tool you were looking to start with, or anything that has caught your attention?

Happy to try and answer questions and provide guidance, etc.
Ideally, I’d recommend staying on the forum though, as the questions you ask and the answers you receive would almost certainly help others too!

Best of luck! The courses in here are a great place to start, and having a mentor can certainly be a big help.

I offer mentoring and have space to take on a new mentee. Take a look at my website - thequalityduck.co.uk, and if what you see resonates with you’d and I’m in a time zone that will work for you (UK), drop me a message via the mentor page.

1 Like

So that course when i put it into my currency it is ALOT and i cant afford that atm and the company i work for wont pay for it and the area i want to start is basically how to get everything started im confused to how to get started with where to test

and i am interested in QA testing and Performance testing

1 Like

Stuart’s offer above sounds amazing!!

there is also the MoT Scholarship that you could apply for.

From what you have said, my advice would be to start small, pick an area and focus there to get started. testing is such a huge domain. Often Performance and Security testing for example, are their own area due to the learning requirements. Of course a tester can do it all, given the time to learn. But I would suggest narrowing your focus a little to avoid burnout! There will be years and year worth of information you’ll be learning. I’ve been going over 10 years now and I still feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. I learn new things ALL the time!!

Don’t rush yourself!!

Performance testing has a variety of tooling available, my choice was JMeter - they have really good docs in my opinion, and it’s fairly easy to learn. I also tried K6 but with some work restrictions, it made learning that much harder. The best thing here would be to research the tools and find one that suits your learning style.
This stretches far past tooling though, for performance testing you would also need an understanding of the systems you are testing. How is it built, what does it run on, what are the network speed requirements, user journeys, SLA’s and expected throughputs. What type of Performance test are you trying to achieve - Peak load, stress, soak, scalability etc. ? All of this information is then used to design a “scenario” for running your test. After the test is complete you’ll need to understand the results and what figures you are going to report on. Personally, I use the 95th percentile. I have a small write-up on why I use this, I can try to find it for you if you like. Ultimately; Your test should then answer your question “Does it meet the requirements?”

Then you also have exploratory testing, API testing, Visual testing, Accessibility testing, Security testing… etc.
A broad understanding of the different types of testing certainly helps, but again I would start by picking one and focusing on that area to start with.

Hope this helps… I didn’t intend for the above to be overwhelming! Googling any of the above will likely provide you YouTube videos explaining what each part is. And if possible, try to get yourself an MoT membership as there are loads of video tutorials and courses available for you to learn from!!

Also consider any local testing meetup groups. Not sure on your location but someone from the MoT community may run a meetup near by.

2 Likes

Thanks this helped alot appreciate it

1 Like