Is ChatGPT still a thing for you?

I recently saw: How will ChatGPT change the testing industry? and I was a pretty dedicated user of ChatGPT myself during the ā€˜uprising of chatGPTā€™

I quite liked it and tend to ask chatGPT more questions then google. I still do use it, maybe not so intensive anymore so my question to you is:

• Do you still use ChatGPT?
  • Do you still use it as often as X months ago?
  • Why did you stop using it?
3 Likes

I guess it has just become another tool I use when it feels appropriate. Yes there was a steep learning curve understanding prompts and Iā€™ve probably still loads to learn but for now it has its place.

3 Likes

Our developers are banned from using it.

I use it at least once a week but not as often as I used to. There are other variations that I used instead

I never got to use it as it wanted my phone number

1 Like

Iā€™ve stopped using ChatGPT at work and tend to use Bard as itā€™s now available as part of our Google for Business suite.

Iā€™ve tried it a few times but found it was good at sounding smart, but then when I tried to dig deeper around its reasoning etc. it failed for me there.

I think it can be good for generating some ideas though, so I guess thatā€™s something.

Such tools can be rather useful for oneā€™s testing, as long as one understands their limitations.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say I use ChatGPT as a dedicated part of my testing toolbox but I am actively considering how I can use ChatGPT (or AI generally) to solve problems that I encounter or make my role easier.

As I work in a small team QA resource is limited, so we donā€™t regularly debrief exploratory charters due to time constraints. Though I was taught to always debrief as a junior, so I tried using ChatGPT to debrief my exploratory charter as an experiment (thinking it would be better than nothing), but the ChatGPT Slack integration we use couldnā€™t process the large input at first. :laughing:

I definitely need to amend my approach and understand good prompt writing in order to effectively use it this way. Otherwise, I have gained useful suggestions on risks and test cases from it too, but it hasnā€™t provided enough value for me to use it out of habit.

I have found ChatGPT most useful when learning and, and to echo what others have mentioned, to ask questions. Also if something doesnā€™t make sense to me or if it uses terminology Iā€™m not familiar with, I can ask ChatGPT to explain it to me in simpler terms.

All in all I think ChatGPT has its place as a tool, and has been really useful for understanding topics Iā€™m not that familiar with, but I havenā€™t found it too useful in my role so far. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, thatā€™s a really interesting idea to use a tool to help summarise your discoveries for a debrief. :bulb:

1 Like

I continue to use ChatGPT regularly. I find it quite useful for generating code logic for basic automation.

For example, I can use bash but I only know the basics and I often forget the details about the syntax. So, I often ask ChatGPT to generate code snippets that I just read carefully and test to make sure it does what it is supposed to, then use the code in my automation.

1 Like

I tested it a couple of times on tasks where there was essentially a ready-made solution available on Google and it was usually able to get those right. I suspect most of the ā€œmagic intelligenceā€ people attribute to it is simply its ability to remix stuff from the internet. I think a lot of people who use it heavily could just as easily be using google to perform the same task.

I cant aee that this is a revolutionary new technology. The most revolutionary thing about it its ability to fool the humans interacting with it.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to poke a bit at your reasoning, hope you donā€™t mind :stuck_out_tongue:.

I think that when Google came out, many people claimed that you could achieve the same thing by reading books and instruction manuals.

Of course, I donā€™t that tools like ChatGPT will solve everything. Itā€™s just another tool that does its job really well in certain scenarios.

I have had numerous successes with it in cases where googling and reading documentation took too much time or maybe the feature was not discussed as widely online, so it was hard to find information on it. I asked about some command line usage and it just spat out the right syntax. In some cases it works, in some it doesnā€™t, but then you can always just revert to the previous ways like googling or analyzing the documentation.

I think these kind of tools will become widespread everywhere. I had numerous times where I had to find something in on our internal wiki, but I couldnā€™t find it easily using the built in search. And I had a feeling that something like ChatGPT would have had a better chance of finding that quickly, because I feel it is like an enhanced ā€œCtrl-Fā€. You wouldnā€™t need to try to remember the exact name of the command or the wiki page, you could just use the enhanced ā€œAI: Ctrl-Fā€ to ask something like this: ā€œfind me the command on the wiki to schedule a reboot of a machine using a scriptā€.

1 Like

Interesting reads!

So I mostly use it for writing texts, introductions and to come up with fun ideas for events.
Sometimes to write a formal email or something, so itā€™s not full of smileys :smiley:

Iā€™m not using it code-wise, then again I didnā€™t have to google anything lately. (Been investing less into coding)