Programming levels

What would you call yourself if you have experience as Junior developer in python and just red the book Rust.
For Python is obvious: Junior python developer.
What about Rust: “Trainee in Rust” or something like that?

Best

Tony

Perhaps: curious, energetic learner, self-starter

3 Likes

I think Joe has the answer you need already, but I’ll still add.

Polyglot :smile:

1 Like

Probably depends on where you are using the description but is it not just beginner or novice?

You could use “enthusiast” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, i am a software tester. I use my python skills with selenium to make automated tests to reduce the number of regression tests on our project.
For now, Rust is only a hobby but i think there is no harm in that people know that i am trying to learn another language. Maybe i will use it on my professional profile in section interests or something like that…

1 Like

Hobbies are a great way to learn more about testing and more about yourself! I build payloads that I attach to the end of a weather balloon. I have lots of opportunities to test and learn.

Joe

1 Like

On further thinking, your title could be something like “Test Automation Engineer - Python and Rust” if you wanted to combine the two? When asked, you can expand on your experiences with both languages?

2 Likes

I think people need to work on their acronym game… I was trying to figure them all out.

If we’re talking about for a resume or a CV, I like when candidates separate out what they’ve used professionally from what they’ve tinkered with. I’ve also seen folks use beginner/intermediate/expert or ranking skills from 1 to 5 if they’ve got a “skills” section or similar.

Granted, there’s a bit of reading between the lines to see if the candidate is playing “keyword bingo” or if they’ve got real experience, but in general, delineating skill levels shows some sense of maturity.

2 Likes