Risk based testing resources

Give me all the risk based testing resources you have!
Thanks in advance

3 Likes

My summary:

• Risk = Likelihood x Impact expressed in money.
  • Risk = Likelihood x Impact using relative factors (1 = low, 2, = medium, 3 = high).
  • Risk = Likelihood x Impact = (Long term consequences in the system x (Internal costs + External costs))x(frequency x complexity) using relative factors - MAINTAIN Software Management
  • Risk = Likelihood x Impact = (Internal costs + External costs)x(frequency x complexity) using relative factors - SmarTEST
  • Risk = Likelihood X Impact using other relative factors - PRISMA or Product RISk MAnagement.
  • Gather examples of stories and assign relative risk to them, then use MoSCoW (Must Test, Should Test, Could Test, Would Test) for remaining stories - Risk and Requirement Based Testing (RRBT)
  • Use heuristics Risk Analysis Heuristics (for Digital Products), SFDIPOT, and FEW HICCUPS in combination with Session Based Management (SBTM) - Rapid Software Testing
  • Riskstorming workshop with Testsphere
  • Workshop using quality attributes (E.g. ISO) and possible situations, followed by dot voting.

Disclaimer:

• there are probably other risk based resources.

Warning:
a test strategy is not static. Use new insights to adjust the strategy accordingly.

3 Likes

I came here today after a long time, seeking an answer to the same question. Here is one link from 2017 from this forum - Let's talk about figuring out risks! - #2 by jasmintestscode

Another link from 2018 from this forums, which has more resources Risk Based Software Testing Resources

Did you find any practical and actionable resources other than the stuff in the above links ? Were they better ?

3 Likes

Hey! I watched a task by jenna carlton on here that delved into risk based testing. One of the interesting things that jenna talked about was a ‘math of risk’ concept. This is something that I introduced in my workplace and we have managed to reduce our regression cycle. Something about maths helped everyone understand risk based testing…

3 Likes

James Bach has a nice talk on this, from a very practical perspective, with heuristics for risk analysis. Michael Bolton as well, but more from a test strategy point of view.

2 Likes

Hi melissa,

I’d like to see that talk/article about risk based testing + math of risk by Jenna carlton. Where can I get it ?

2 Likes

I find using a simplified FMEA helpful : FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) Quick Guide

2 Likes

Hey, do you have PRO ministry of testing membership? If you go to LEARN and search for risk based regression or jenna carlton, then you should be able to find it.

1 Like

I just wrote about how FMEA can be used to idenfy risk: http://testandanalysis.home.blog/2021/11/16/how-can-you-work-with-your-team-to-identify-risks/

3 Likes

ey Melissa,

It’s good to see your curiosity in exploring this dimension of software testing. I have been associated with the Quality Assurance industry for a long period of time, but I rarely get to find such queries showing up.

Here’s a quick resource from my company’s website containing all the detailed insights you need related to Risk-Based Testing : Introduction, Importance, Benefits, Approach & Much More.

I hope that will help you build some knowledge on risk-based testing. And just in case, you need some more information, feel free to share.

I will be extremely glad to find more detail and share it with you.

5 Likes

thanks. that’s very kind of you! I do have knowledge in risk based testing. What I was trying to do was educate others in what risk based testing was about, hence looking for resources. I’ll have a look through your link though to see what else i can learn. cheers!

1 Like

You blog is on my radar. I need to catch up with all of your excellent posts :slight_smile:

2 Likes