Recently I ran an experiment to learn if it’s possible to quickly share testing tips via Twitter video. I have all sorts of testing related ideas and thoughts and need different outlets to share them. I sometimes blog and write articles. I find that type of medium takes a lot of effort. So I set myself some goals:
- Only record up to 2 minutes 20 seconds of video – Twitter’s video time-limit constraint
- Record and publish first thing in the morning (to not spend a day worrying about doing the recording!)
- No editing, just record and publish
- Don’t script it, just use short notes to provide triggers whilst recording or just go for it
- Don’t overthink it!
- Aim to be helpful, even if you have no idea if it will be or not
- Use examples as much as possible
- Then make a point and keep it on point, don’t try to cram too much in
- Keep a small list of ideas for future videos
- Use #TestingInTheMorning to make it easily searchable
For most I used my mobile phone resting on my laptop which was resting on a pile of books so the height of the shot was reasonable enough.
What do you think, are these videos valuable? Should I continue? Do you think you’d be up for doing one just to see what happens? I’d love to see more people trying this sort of thing, you might surprise yourself how quick and fun it is. It’s been a lot of fun not having to overthink things!