Test Automation Help - Need help creating a Path

Hi name’s Brian. I recently became a QA and to this point have only done manual testing in Azure working on a team in an agile environment. I want to implement automated testing!

I want to automate testing for our on prem software. It is written in C#. I am learning C# and have dabbled with Specflow, but need help getting from working on simple examples to being able to demo something for my team.

Could use help finding a path to get to my goal. Willing to put in the time just not sure how to proceed in a smart way.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome to MoT! :slight_smile:

Super nice that you want to adopt test automation! Are we talking API or UI automation?
Being able to show something to your team as a demo for the first time, you need to come off strong.

What I would probably do is think about a critical path / happy flow/ small E2E flow that is automated as a demo. Show them test coverage and reporting! Very important! Basically a flow that 90% of your users perform.

Also provide them the pass/fail results & the possibility to integrate it into a CI/CD.

Do you know if your team writes unit tests or has experience (on previous projects maybe) with testers who write automated tests?

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
This would be for UI.

Definitely think a E2E demo would be the best route to go! thank you for all the info. Currently I don’t think there is anyone who has done unit tests.

Any tips/direction on how to get started with the above? courses to learn this?

1 Like