Test Case Management Tools: What Are You Using?

I saw a discussion pop up in the tools category on the Ministry of Testing Slack that I thought would be a great one to transfer to here to keep the history :wink:

What test case management tool is your organization using? Do you like it?

There’s a great variation of replies so far

X-ray, it’s better than zephyr. Problem, is it will be extra cost to get their api license. So, my org don’t ready to pay any extra money. (edited)

Codebeamer, not especially but it’s still better than excel?

Test Manager by Microsoft, nowadays could also be part of their AzureDevops Suite. I am not a big fan, but at least there is something. Still missing my good old Tosca Testsuite (TM is one module) I used back in the days *sniff

We are just getting started with AzureDevOps Test Manager - but have been using AzureDevOps. I’ve never used it before starting this job - and tbh - the more I become familiar with it the more I appreciate it

Microsoft Test Manager I used to like, thanks to support for shared test steps. A lot of the new fancy ones that people keep talking about don’t seem to support that
My current place doesn’t really keep detailed manual test cases so we don’t use any product. We have Excel sheets for our regression packs

What about you? What test case management tool are you using and do you like it?

1 Like

Going a bit over agile today: I’m keen at a pinch-point in a new project to now let the automated tests drive this process. The faffing about with management tools that don’t keep up with you when are are documenting your test code anyway is distracting. When you need to add a new environment kind or domain to the tool, but have to implement the new OS support domain in code anyway just feels like overhead. For example; when the tool wants you to create a new release, because you are changing tack slightly, but you are doing a release every 2 weeks anyway, it starts becoming a non-activity to keep plugging the week number into the tool. Right now I have not got the bandwidth to specify test cases in enough detail for most tools, because I don’t have good requirements with commitment dates and I don’t have runnable product to explore yet. I might be crazy, I hope not.

So my test management tool is actually going to be my “dashboard”, which is something I have to populate anyway. Later, I might see if my test reports can be used to “populate” my test management tool of choice. I do have a testing todo list, but I have no manual tests scoped, so trying to avoid the overhead.

1 Like

I’m not sure you’re using a right test management tool.
Why would you need to change a release because of a slight change in a test case? I’m not familiar with a tool with such a redundant limitation.

In Practitest you can easily create an automation flow which will not even depend on the test cases themselves - it will just populate it with the results on-the-go.
Also they recently released a template for an Agile project with all the relevant custom fields built-in (yet editable, so you can adjust it for your needs)

So, we use Practitest. Do we like it? Yes we do, it was a breath of fresh air after numerous Excels (which we imported to Practitest without any issues).
We like it, our management likes it, our developers like it (or at least do not complain about it). Even our customers like it!

1 Like

I use TestRail. I feel it is very powerful and very simple to use.

Thomas

2 Likes

I’m using Test Management for JIRA which is just a plugin on JIRA as the name suggests, it’s our first test management tool we’ve used so I don’t have anything to compare it with. We had limited time to pick and trial a tool and it was difficult to do that with the all going on. Anyway, it’s the one we ended up with so hopefully? we are getting what we’re paying for.

It’s generally positive for us but the few complaints that I have are:

1. Filtering and sorting functionality for test executions are not great, having to either search what you’re looking for or opt for the infinite scroll
  2. No integration with things like git so all test management must be done in the tool itself
  3. No tagging people in comments so you have to inform you teammate that you’ve made a change on Slack or something

Anyone else use Test Management for JIRA? How do you find it or did you choose to move away from it?

1 Like

Hi Philip, what concerns git, what would be something useful to you? can you give some potential usage examples?

Hi Thomas,
I saw your post about using Testrails. Do you have any limitations connecting the manual test to the automation tests? Are you able to execute automation from the testrun and report ?
Curious :slight_smile:

I use qase.io it’s cloud-based, simple but powerful - has all typical features you can expect from TMS, like test suites and cases, test plans and test runs, custom fields, reports, API and integrations with Jira, Github, etc.

In addition, the pricing is affordable and there are some rare features, like Shared steps to be re-used in many test cases, Defects list, Review and Merge/Decline for test cases and free read-only users for some plans. I can also share public reports for test run with anyone outside of Qase - exactly what’s needed when you are freelancing for many clients and don’t want to pay for all of them as TMS users :slight_smile:

1 Like