Testers - what questions do you have about automated mobile testing?

Please help me search out new topics for my videos and webinars.

I’m a mobile testing tool provider.

What questions do you have about implementing mobile app testing?

What subjects would be helpful to have more content on?

Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

I will, of course, share any content I make with the community here.

3 Likes

Hello Tom,

I’m not sure whether there is much content already available on this topic which I’m going to suggest.

The content that focuses on below would be great:

• Ways to use AI in Mobile App Testing & Automation.
  • Effective prompts list that helps to achieve this.
  • Methods to overcome the possible downsides of AI in this kind of testing.
  • Any existing AI tools that might be considered to use in this testing specifically.
2 Likes

AI is a funny one, because for any company working in a security domain it’s about as engaging a topic as watching lead paint dry.

But I’m still interested in people telling me about how one goes about porting your secure apps into cloud-hosted mobile test frameworks. Because that day will come even for security-domain apps.

4 Likes

Some thoughts on more niche areas of mobile testing that could benefit coverage:

• automated testing of mobile (app) SDKs
  • automating mobile app testing that interacts with hardware resources and physical environment (bluetooth beacon detection/signal strength, location indoor & outdoor (via GPS, bluetooth, and wifi data sources), wifi signal strength, device movement (accelerometer, gyroscope)
  • mobile games testing - UI testing workflow that deviates from standard web/mobile app UI testing
3 Likes

@riglar

1. Test Automation:
    • What are the benefits and challenges of test automation for mobile apps?

• How can organizations effectively implement and maintain mobile test automation frameworks?

2. Cross-Platform Testing:
    • What are the key considerations for testing mobile apps across different platforms (iOS, Android)?

• How can teams streamline cross-platform testing processes to ensure consistent app performance and functionality?

2 Likes

I’m unsure of the gain when asking 2 broad questions which break out into 2 further meta-topics at once, without clues as to what the background is. But it’s a good way to ask a question that will interest a wider audience. So I’ll stick to the practical side.
Most of, if not all of the benefits to automated mobile tests are identical to those of web or native desktop testing. To save time. The challenges are that on one front the platforms converge, in that all fruit based devices are really just running 2 O/S variants, so things are easier in that aside from small layout and control label changes the phone and tablet form are almost identical, while on the non-fruit based mobiles, there is enough variation to keep you busy fixing your tests continuously. Neither are easier top automate overall in the end though.

So mobile is not at all unlike the challenge of supporting different browsers. However the unique challenge of mobile is that handling input gestures, input methods, bluetooth peripheral interactions, which are really part of the plethora of hand-held use-cases which desktop and browser don’t have, mean you end up with a lot of testing that is hard to automate. Not to mention the security ecosystem of the mobile device today, which is arguably well ahead of the desktop platforms which add their own unique automation challenge.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies - lots for me to dig into here :slight_smile:

This is way too broad of a question.

You can start with the challenges that I’ve described (co-author) in ISTQB Mobile Application Testing:
Mobile Application Testing (istqb.org)

Having chosen a challenge, dig into it and check GitHub, Reddit and local communities for questions about that subject.

From my 15 years of experience, I can tell you that the most frequent question/challenge is still… “What tool should we choose, and how should we implement it into our process?”

But then again, the question is so tricky and broad that companies hire me to help solve this problem.

To be fair… anything.

Mobile QA space is close to dead silent. Most of the content is made by someone working for a mobile testing-related tool company, which, in the end, is bad, reused, old or straight-up BS.