How would you prepare for an automation interview?

I’ve been lucky to be selected to take part in a QA interview.

However, one of the key areas is Automation testing.
I wanted to ask from this community, what to expect when I get asked about Mobile Automation? Both on iOS and Android. What are the common areas and questions I will most likely be asked? How was everyone elses experience when they did a mobile automation interview?
And of course, I didnt tell the interviewer I had amazing Automation skills, I was very honest with my current QA testing background. So they know what to expect.

Looking forward to the responses.

3 Likes

Hello!

There’s a lot I could say, but I’ll stick to this: every interview is different, and the interviewer will have different levels of knowledge about their product, business, test tools and testing in general. Also different levels of ability in interviewing. The questions will be different every time. Being good at testing is more important than understanding the tools, because you can always learn the tools. Automation is just testing with a certain tool. It’d be worth investigating three things:

• The automation tools they use, or if that’s not available any mobile tools in general. Show your enthusiasm, and propensity for personal improvement, by doing some research.
  • Their product and business. Any contextual information will help you form ideas about testing. Then you can use that to bring up contextual points that affect testing, like the number of users or claims the website makes about security or uptime. Do users churn, or stick with the product? What’s the share of users of users on each device/OS? That demonstrates that you can evaluate risk and context, are interested in the business and product, and are proactive about learning.
  • Mobile testing factors in general. If you’re already familiar then it doesn’t hurt to review them, so you can talk about them confidently later. Gestures in the UI. Platforms and OSs. Connection types and speeds. Disconnections and connection swapping. Memory and processing limitations. Barcodes, QRs and NFCs. Location information. Accelerometers and gyroscopes. Face and fingerprint ID. This will show your interest and skill in the subject and you can use it to give smart answers to questions.

Be sure you like coding if you’re going to be working with a tool all day. Consider how much testing you’ll get to do, vs writing, editing, maintaining and removing code. Think about how much responsibility for strategy and coverage you’ll have. Consider your needs, and don’t underestimate your value.

Don’t forget things like having smart questions to ask them. Team sizes, if they like working there, all the usuals.

Best of luck!

1 Like