Testing Bull$hit Bingo

Hey all,

Iā€™m collecting ā€œstatementsā€ for a ā€œTesting Bull$hit Bingoā€.

Things like ā€œItā€™s so easy, we donā€™t need to test itā€, ā€œNo user would ever do thatā€, ā€œThis is an edge caseā€ and so onā€¦ I think you get the idea.

Please reply with your favourite bull$hit phrases, thanks a lot!

7 Likes

ā€œI only changed one line of codeā€ ā† Yeah, but that line of code governed permissions to the entire application and the missing ā€œnotā€ meant nobody had the permissions they should have.

ā€œItā€™s only cosmeticā€ ā† and if it doesnā€™t look right users are going to think we donā€™t care about the big stuff

ā€œItā€™s fully unit testedā€ ā† and? Is it also fully integration tested? Does it do what the customer wants?

ā€œThe UI makes it obvious what to do.ā€ ā† No it doesnā€™t. It makes it obvious for users like you, who are a minority out there in the non-technical world.

And yes, Iā€™ve run into all of these as well as @christianbaumannā€™s starting list during my career.

(As a side note: Iā€™ve generally found that cases of ā€œNo user would ever do thatā€ are proved false within days, sometimes hours, of said users receiving the software - and Iā€™ve refuted a few of them with the response ā€œI did. Whatā€™s to stop someone else?ā€.)

5 Likes
  • ā€œWorks on my machineā€
  • Blames user (this has many variants)
  • ā€œThe developer is senior so there are no bugsā€
  • ā€œThat is not a technical profileā€ (referring to a tester that doesnā€™t code, infuriating)
6 Likes

Similar to @thepoplipo 's last entry,
A developer to a tester: ā€œThis is too technical, you wouldnā€™t understandā€

3 Likes

Adding to @katepaulk & @thepoplipo lists:

• ā€œThis is a known issue.ā€
  • ā€œItā€™s not a high-priority issue, we can go live with it.ā€
  • ā€œWeā€™ll fix this in next sprint.ā€
  • ā€œIssue is only on older alien versions, we wonā€™t fix it.ā€ (even though issue is on few versions back, dev said this many times)
  • ā€œIt may be caching.ā€ (tells after dev fixed the issue every time)
4 Likes

Some Iā€™ve heard:

• Unit tests are green
  • I modified the test to pass (they were failing because of a bug, the dev didnā€™t fix the bug, just made the test passā€¦)
  • We canā€™t test the change in the backend because the UI is not ready (testerā€™s in backend teams who donā€™t know how to use postman or any other api testing toolā€¦)
  • Or the opposite " We canā€™t test the UI change because the backend is not ready" , saying this while they have a framework set up to be able to mock the backend to test the UI changes
4 Likes

Nearly all of the above and:

• ā€œWhy was this not found during testing?ā€
  • ā€œItā€™s just an internal bug.ā€ (apparently itā€™s better for things to be found in production by the customer, but also see point above)
  • ā€œThis canā€™t be tested.ā€ (might require some thinking on dev side to figure out how)
  • ā€œWe turned the tests off, because they were failing.ā€ (so we donā€™t actually have unit test coverage)
  • ā€œItā€™s too late to add unit tests.ā€ (but somehow not too late for testers to add other automation)
  • ā€œCan you create a ticket for that?ā€ (report you own findings, testers are not secretaries for dev)
  • ā€œThat only happens because of automation.ā€ (bugs found through automation are somehow all the fault of the automation setup and environment)
  • ā€œWhy is testing taking so long?ā€ (sorry itā€™s taking us a month or two to check what was developed during hat last year)
  • ā€œYou can create a ticket for that, but we are never going to fix it.ā€ (how about we document that)
  • ā€œThings were better when X was testing.ā€ (I wonder why they left)

Donā€™t know if all of these work as general points for a tester bullshit bingo game, but I definitely get bingo quite often with them.

4 Likes

Boy howdy does all of this bring back some memories.

My most recent gig there was a frequent round of:

ā€œIts just a one line changeā€ (I fought for extensive testing. was overruled. minor chaos in production ensues. I presented it as a case study that was really just an elaborate ā€œI told you soā€ nevertheless detailing how small, untested change resulted in $$$ of developer and devops work in front of usersā€¦well lets say there was an effect on how testing was evaluated)

ā€œOh thats just a hostile user scenarioā€ (MSHā€™s Law ā€œAll users are hostile users. If they can do it, they willā€ Again I presented cases where a defect report was dismissed as ā€œhostileā€ and yet that very defect was reported by users/support in production)

and yeah. Im bragging. But hey, no one else is going to do it for meā€¦

5 Likes

Developer Test Lead, ā€œYouā€™ll only be writing up Sev 3ā€™s and 4ā€™s, we have so many of them, its almost pointless to documentā€¦ā€ - Same Test Lead then goes on to investigate and mark as a Sev 2.

4 Likes

everything should work as before :blush:

3 Likes

ā€œIt depends on the context.ā€

Placed here with no further comments. :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes
  • ā€œtransiting from manual to automated testingā€
  • ISTQB
2 Likes
  • Why QA not found this issue earlier, Who test this ticket ?
  • Weā€™ll fix this later
  • Small code change take >= 2 week test regression. small code change as hotfix ā†’ straight to production
  • Letā€™s Automated QA write automation this case later.
  • ā€œJust test and make sure everything working fineā€ (with 5k line of code changed and no explanation)
4 Likes

hello @christianbaumann :wave: I have so many phrases but adding some of my favourites-

:smiling_face_with_tear:Just push it to PRODUCTION, weā€™ll fix the bugs later.

:scream:Code is perfect and unit-testing is done, we are on a tight deadline, testing is just for formality.

:angry:This is Low priority, we dont need to test it thoroughly.

:persevere:Itā€™s a minor glitch, user wont ever notice.

:japanese_ogre:We will call it a known issue, and take it to the second phase/release.

:sob:We dont need to test on that browser, no one uses it anyway.

3 Likes

Sometimes I jsut say : ā€œCan I get that on tape?ā€, while simultaneously whipping my phone out of my pocket and pretending to tap record.

5 Likes

I canā€™t entirely agree that this stuff is BS :sweat_smile: There are always two sides to a coin, and it really depends on the context. As a QA engineer, tester, and
QA advocate in a way :slightly_smiling_face: I have found myself in situations where the things mentioned in the conversation didnā€™t sound like BS, and I have also said some of those things to my dev and QA team members. However, I do understand why many people consider it to be BS in many cases. I have been there too :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

nice one LOL sounds like real BS :smiley:

2 Likes

Just to be clear: I donā€™t judge the people doing this.
Both may help getting people wages.
Sadly there is demand for it and a big lack of education on the tester side as well as on the managers.

2 Likes