Best Test Management Tool - Integrations to Rally (possibly Jira), Defect Management, and Ease of Use

OK! I am going to try to make this simple but it’s just not a simple topic for my team.

1. We have a lot of structural issues to overcome as a team. We have 1,000 employees. We have multiple UAT and Software QA Testers on different teams.

2. We have one team that is larger than the others (mine) where we have more influence over what happens with the other teams.

3. We have a manager on a completely different team that is getting to make the decisions on the testing strategy for all of our Company now, this was assigned to her while our team was still growing and we didn’t have a manager. Now that we have a manager and more structure, we feel like this decision should have rested on us more, but it’s too late. We have to work together and we just want to be honest and open with the other team in hopes it improves things.

4. We currently use Rally as our Story Management, BUT we may switch the Jira (this is important to note when you go to reply).

5. Our project management style is an amalgam of SAFE, Agile, Kanban, waterfall. lol. We are mostly SAFE/Agile…but some teams use the Kanban workflow and some teams outside of IT use Waterfall. We aren’t going to focus on anything more than Agile.

6. We need a test management tool that will work with all this.

So in simple. We need an Agile friendly test tool that has integrations to Rally but also someday Jira with a good interface, reporting, and possibly defect management, unless it uses what’s in Rally and possibly Jira already.

Rally offers the following test apps, which I have added my initial notes below, but would love to know people’s hands on real world experience with these. Test Management (broadcom.com)

• Enterprise Tester
    This has a Rally and Jira plugin, but it does have a small amount of reviews and it’s hard to tell if it’s a good option

• Practitest
    Same scenario as Enterprise Tester, but even LESS reviews

• QMetry
    This one has slightly more reviews, they are mostly good. They also offer Confluence Integration, which could be useful since we currently use Confluence for our IT teams

• qTest
    This was my initial choice from research, but isn’t rated as well as others. Due to the fact there are more reviews and downloads, it might just be more accurate is all

• Silk Central Test Manager
    This offers no Jira integration, so I would say it’s off the table. (Unless you can offer a really good experience that makes it work consideration.)

• TestRail
    This is my teammate’s #1 choice, and I think it really seems like a solid one as well. It actually has less reviews than Qmetry, which I found interesting.

• Testuff
    This offers no Jira integration, so I would say it’s off the table. (Unless you can offer a really good experience that makes it work consideration.)

• ZAPTEST

Thanks for the help in advanced!

3 Likes

Hiya, so you need a tool to write tests/track your automation runs?

I’ve used TestRail before and I’d recommend it.

2 Likes

Hi Melissa! Yes. Write Tests, Track Automation Runs, Track Manual Runs, and possibly track defects while integrating with Rally.

If you opt moving to Jira then Xray may be a good fit (but please try it yourself); it works inside Jira, so its integration is native. It allows you to use in waterfall, Agile (scrum, kanban, etc), and even I’m aware of companies using it on SAFe environments; the tool is flexible enough so that you can adapt it to your needs/processes. I can eventually provide you with some additional resources on that topic later on if needed.
Otherwise, TestRail may be an option.

Note: Xray doesn’t have a Rally integration

1 Like