Contribution Points are go!

:thinking: Ever reflect on why you hang out on The Club?
:thinking: Want another way to track your contribution?
:thinking: Curious about who else is on The Club and what they’re up to?

Welcome to Contribution Points. And welcome to the Contribution Leaderboard. :eyes:

How do contribution points work?

Currently, the following events award contribution points:

• Daily visits
  • Flags accepted
  • Likes given
  • Posts read
  • Time read
  • Topics created

What else can I do with the data?

You can change the date range, just use the drop-down in the top left.

You can also click on a profile to view their contribution points and then select to see all their activity. A cool way to learn from someone directly. Think of the leaderboard view as a community directory!

Are there any limitations?

Chat channels and direct personal chat activity don’t contribute to the contribution points as that feature isn’t currently available.

You might also notice that Ministry of Testing staff score highly along with ex-CommunityBoss Heather Reid. Well, it is our job to hang out here to spark conversations and encourage folks. Here’s a view without MoT staff if that helps. Yet MoT staff are part of the community so we decided not to exclude ourselves from the main leaderboard.

Our challenge to you is to one day see MoT Staff not in the Top 10. :smile:

What’s next?

The bigger picture is we’d like to explore a community contribution scoring system that also includes everything on the main MoT Platform. Contribution points for watching talks, reading articles, reviewing abstracts, etc.

This is an experiment and we’d love to get your thoughts on it. Feel free to reply to this post with your feedback.

A note about diversity

The leaderboard highlights a problem that we need to work harder to ensure The Club is more inclusive and that it celebrates the diversity of the amazing testing community. We as a community need to get more underrepresented folks on The Club.

Is there a navigation link to the leaderboard? How often is the data updated?

As there’s currently no way to navigate to it, bookmark the Contribution Leaderboard today. Enjoy and have fun with it! Points are automatically updated every 5 minutes for events of the day, and we re-calculate scores from the last 10 days once a day. You can view the leaderboard whenever you like via the following link.

:bookmark: View the Contribution Leaderboard

6 Likes

Maybe my 2 cents but I think likes GIVEN shouldn’t matter.
Otherwise you can just spam every post ever made to get points?

And if there is a leaderboard… Gamification… :stuck_out_tongue: People want to win games!

Does that give an “advantage” to PRO club members?

I think it’s cool to have MoT Staff on there also! :slight_smile:
Totally agree with what you said, but it’s also cool to have the separate view.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Kristof.

I’d like to think folks in our community are here for the right reasons and wouldn’t exploit ways to game the gamification. Like why would they actually bother doing that? That’s not very community friendly.

3 Likes

I’ve tested it, and likes, fortunately, do not count as far as I can see :smiley:

At least I didn’t get a single point for likes since this post was made.

4 Likes

Totally agree, but I can’t help to feel that it will happen :stuck_out_tongue: (Murphy’s Law?)
It’s legit the first thing I thought about when I read it.

I believe we are supposed to be the reason to make applications “idiot proof” and don’t give them the option to exploit it anyways.

But if it doesn’t give points… then all fine! Then I do wonder why it’s in the listing :question:

I just personally think it will corrupt the statistics, maybe you could just make another leaderboard without it? I know we are a community and we are all trying to be community friendly but still I feel it shouldn’t be a requirement for a leaderboard. Especially of you gamify it.

EDIT: See it from this point of view: I just feel like I like a lot of posts because I like peoples replies and I want THEM to contribute more, I want to give THEM a reward for making a good post or a reply. Getting points myself makes me feel like a cheat then a little bit…?

I want (people) to get rewarded for making a good response or a good topic post. It will encourage people more to post and reply to others.

3 Likes

Or I need to wait longer… as I didn’t get the point for this post over 40 minutes ago too :thinking:

Your score is updated every few minutes.

2 Likes

It helps to see a lot of the activities we attach value to as being a learning for the contributor as well as for the community. And gamification although it awards the contributor, this in a small way helps the community more. But most importantly it allows the contributor to learn by getting some small feedbacks to tune their input and grow a little every time they participate.

At the end of the day the “points” don’t matter, because the prize is very very personal, for me it’s what I learn by just being in the same room and watching the types of reactions or noise cadence as a way of finding stuff I might be interested in. If the room is silent I cannot hear my friends or favorite speakers. I do look at the stats from time to time, often as a way of finding things like recently trending topics I might have missed because I was away on holiday. The stats are also a way of judging volume levels for yourself by seeing the raw data.

4 Likes

This is really nice Simon, and also you’re a king! :smiley:

2 Likes

I do like this idea. I would like a better habit with logging in, so now there’s a reward system in place it will help. Can you check your individual points compared to the previous months to see if they’re going up? Leaderboards are fun, although sometimes you’re just competing against yourself :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s a great question. I don’t think it’s possible right now.

I guess the hack would be on the same day of each week to filter the view by “Week” and make a note of your score.

Will ask the team at Discourse (the software platform behind The Club) if your suggestion is available or is a planned feature.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. I’ll put a recurring thing in my calendar for now to note it down.

1 Like

Not a fan on the leaderboard, in that if a user has contributed the same as another user for that period, they’re listed in sort of rank order that is not true (as they’re all equally contributing)

Basically, the leaderboard is bloated.

2 Likes

Oh yeah.

So what might be an alternative way of dealing with this scenario? How about using the same “Rank” number for those that have the same “Contributions” score? So in the screenshot you’ve shared that would be everyone on rank 48.

We can defo feed this back to Discourse.

2 Likes

I love this point, @conrad.connected. Thanks for sharing. Nice one!

@mirza, well, this is awkward. :sweat_smile:

Please refer to the non-staff edition.

Given Heather is ex-staff and would also rank high, that makes you king. :smile:

3 Likes

I’d personally group all members who fall into a each rank represented by one rank block. Of course there may be technical reasons why this can’t be the case.

Be interesting to see how the ‘top 3’ deals with the current setup - you could be joint first and not get a mention if the system just selects the first ‘number 1’.

1 Like

I am trying to understand how points are counted. Can you share this with us?

Also, that’s just my pov, but I like the original Discourse name better - Cheers ^.^
Sounds more positive than points :mega:

3 Likes

Screenshot 2023-05-18 195600

This is good fun, and I for one am looking forward to things being more active as a result. Thank you Simon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @pwicherski,

Points are automatically updated every 5 minutes for events of the day, and we re-calculate scores from the last 10 days once a day.

Currently, the following events award contribution points:

• Daily visits
  • Flags accepted
  • Likes given
  • Posts read
  • Time read
  • Topics created

I see you’ve spotted what might be different behaviour. If you can narrow it down and summarise it, we can share a bug report with the team at Discourse (the software behind The Club).

1 Like