First steps into the testing profession

Hello everyone I am Magnus. I started learning Python some moths ago and found that testing is fascinating. I have started doing some exploratory testing on uTest just to get a taste of testing in the real world. Crowdsourced testing seems to me a low threshold entry into the profession, but the tradeoff is that the experience is quite limited, as it is effectively bughunting and not much more.

Right now I am looking into learning pytest and selenium to build a basic testing portfolio. (I have plenty more questions on that topic but I will ask those in a different thread.). I will probably ask a lot of question on this forum, and with experience maybe answer some questions too one day. Glad to be here. Cheers!

3 Likes

Welcome @rydberg :wave: looking forward to seeing your questions, I hope to start learning Python myself soon :slight_smile:

Perhaps you coul also join the Crowd Source Testing discussion with your own experiences to get started

1 Like

Thanks @heather_reid for the welcome and the link to the crowd source tester discussion. I will have a look there.

If you are about to learn Python I definitely recommend The Modern Python 3 Bootcamp. This course has straightforward explanations from the trainer. And you will also find plenty code challenges and quizzes from beginning to end to keep you focused. I also recommend Corey Shafer’s material on YouTube.

Edit: I just noticed that The Modern Python 3 Bootcamp is priced at a pretty steep price. Udemy often will sell their courses with a big discount every now and then. I paid just around 10 euro for the course.

2 Likes

If you like Python you may also like Sikulix which supports Python/Jython. Programming affine testers can use it in a more professional way like with PyCharm.
By the way, I’m no sikuli representative, but I’m happy to use it.

1 Like

Thank @msx That’s an interesting project. I have just started with Selenium and I need to wrap my head around Xpath locators and such. If I understand correctly SikuliX visually recognizes elements rather than rely on CSS or Xpath, I am curious how that would work. For now I have to stay with Selenium since I am in the middle of the learning process. In the future I would like to spend some time learning SikuliX.

need to wrap my head around Xpath locators and such`

truly this is one of the greatest advantages for me, because I’m no programmer, however you’ll need some programming basics, the more professional you want to go the more skills required

SikuliX visually recognizes elements rather than rely on CSS or Xpath, I am curious how that would work

just give it a try :wink: By the way there is a lot to learn about, but if you can spend some time to dig into the detailed features Sikuli offers, there is a lot of potential. For example speed up image recognition by defining regions or tweaking basic settings. Also sikuli can be integrated into own (selenium) projects, which will certainly provide useful new approaches for testing.