How will AWS Cloud Practitioner help with QE testing?

Recently, I met with my manager and I asked what type of certification I work on next. The manager suggested AWS Cloud Practitioner. I would like to know how will this help with QE testing.

2 Likes

If you’re looking to get better at testing, specifically, it’s tangential at best. There’s no specific testing information included, as far as I know, only test-adjacent information on monitoring and metrics. It’ll help if you’re testing cloud-based services because you’ll have better models to test with, provided the course is actually informative and useful. The certification doesn’t do anything by itself, of course.

2 Likes

What I can share from my experience that got the AWS Cloud Practitioner and AWS Solutions Architect Associate certifications:

The experience was positive for me. You will need to learn about many specific AWS services details that maybe will not be so valuable to you if you work with a different cloud provider. There are no specific things about testing itself while studying for those certifications. However, the most interesting part for me was to learn more about infrastructure and all the kinds of errors that can happen on this level.

When we analyze the infrastructure that will support one application, we need to consider other potential risks and challenges that can happen on this level. Most errors can happen with a simple misconfiguration. If you work with infrastructure as a code, there is, even more, to say about this topic.

How can we guarantee that we integrated our different application services correctly and applied the proper configuration? For example a simple incorrect VPC or security group configuration could be a problem for your internal application communication. So, many potential failures can also happen at this level.

So, in conclusion, it was interesting to get more specific knowledge on this area for those reasons.

If you decide to do the exam, be ready to dedicate quite some time studying for it. Good luck!! :smile:

2 Likes

I would say, grab the opportunity. There are many advantages.

1. Most of the web applications are cloud based these days. It’s always good to have knowledge of infrastructure side of the software.

Quality of a software is not just verifying the frontend or backend services. Knowledge of server infrastructure , infrastructure configurations and network domain knowledge is in the realm quality. It would help you know the limitation of software too.

1. It would add to your resume. These days there are positions / requirements where there is a need to test product which is heavily dependent on specific cloud based services.

2. It will help in your Test automation profile too.
    It’s not just the test framework one has to take care. With this knowledge you can take care of CI CD needs of your test automation project too.
    Imagine, setting up a machine for Jenkins, test artifacts, test dashboards which are exposed let’s say just in the office network, having a set of golden data copy of Database which you use for test automation.

You will then be a full stack tester.

Lastly, from personal experience - I was able to find issues with AWS services itself that they were not working as expected & written in documentation.
Just imagine - Amazon having issue in AWS service used by 100s of companies and with usage of millions of times per day. It was accepted as an issue & rectified.
It was a corner case, but just so satisfying that developers and engineers were not sure what was happening but I was able to figure out the issue.

Best wishes. Do share your experience if you do opt to go for it.