Introduce yourself

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the recommendations.

I am definitely interested in exploratory testing. From what I have learnt so far it seems to match my natural testing style. Saying that, I am interested in understanding the fundamentals of approach/scope when looking at automation test strategy. I think having a better understanding of best practice when it comes to automation could be useful even as a manual tester. There is so much more than v-model and dumb terminals to consider in testing these days! :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Ronnie

3 Likes

You and me both. I’ve learnt more about testing of all sorts in the past five years - both from colleagues and from MoT, which they introduced me to - than I did in the previous twenty!

1 Like

Hello, I am new in Software testing. I want to change my life and job so I decided to learn Software testing. Hope one day I will get my first Job.

1 Like

Wow Dino, that’s a big goal.
Hope you can search about in here and find pointers in taking that first step and make it happen, ask questions. And best of luck in the new journey!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It will be helpful :grinning:

2 Likes

Hello :wave:
I am Neha Parekh. I have around 5 years in Software testing. I have worked on several SAaS web projects, Salesforce. I am very passionate about quality assurance and love to learn more about it. I have worked on few automation projects as well. Currently I am primarily working on testing the front end, functionality and backend testing. I am looking forward to learn more about automation and different types of testing which can benefit and enhance quality.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Welcome @nehabhardwaj to MoT! :slight_smile:

What kind of tech are you using for your automation projects?

1 Like

Good afternoon all,

My name is Jason and I am starting a fresh career in testing. I have tested in the past in previous roles but it has never been a full duty of mine. I am looking forward to taking this on in an official capacity.

-J

3 Likes

Welcome to MoT @jasontompsett-ince ! :slight_smile:

Did you only do manual testing? looking to do some automation?

1 Like

It’ll be a lot of manual as I will be bug testing and investigating.

2 Likes

Ahh bug verification and investigating defect causes, not long and you will be a full card-carrying member of the community Jason. Welcome to the club, and the beginnings of a great journey.

1 Like

Hi, @kristof ! Right now I’m just dipping my toe in. I’d done some training around Selenium using Java and wrote a very simple script to test the UI but that’s about as far as I’d gotten :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, I am happy to join in this group. Thank you for the invitation.

1 Like

Hi Chris and everyone else here!
My name is Steve and I’m a Test Analyst from the UK. I’ve been testing for 3-4 years now and have now taken on a Test Manager position. Having never managed a team before I’m really keen to connect with other managers and share tips/advice on how to build a great team :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome Steve!
Can you say what the team does? What are your plans for it?
George

1 Like

Hi George,

Thanks for the welcome! We’re a manual test team who work in local government - due to being in the public sector we tend to test more off the shelf products primarily due to funding.
My planned improvements all revolve around automation - we currently don’t have an automation tool so I’d love to hear people’s experiences and suggestions with different tools. But we are implementing a lot of evergreen processes in order to keep our systems and applications upgrading continually.
I’m also very keen to develop a learning culture within the team as I want my guys to be refining skills and learning new techniques. I’ve posted another topic asking other managers what they do to encourage learning :slight_smile:
How about you? Are you a manager?
Steve

3 Likes

Hi Steve,

You said “…we tend to test more off the shelf products…”. So does this mean that you’re doing more acceptance and integration testing, making certain that the off-the-shelf products a) really do do what they say on the tin, and that that is what your client actually wants; and b) that when you stand that product up on your servers, it meshes effectively with other products in your software estate and data flows seamlessly and without corruption from one to the other?

1 Like

Hi Steve,

I’m retired now, but I was a manager in a development organization for many years.

My experience was that a learning culture and improvements emerged because the team and management expected it. Creative contributors found ways to make their jobs simpler and more efficient. Part of my job was to make sure they had the time and resources for improvements, and that the organization recognized and valued their contributions.

George

1 Like

Hi Robert,

Yes that’s exactly right - the majority of our testing is black box techniques such as the ones you’ve listed. We do have an in house development team who configure some elements of the software we procure in order to fulfil business needs e.g. if a client needs a certain workflow, so there are elements of functional testing but we don’t go into coding. Sometimes I feel this is both a blessing and a curse - it reduces the amount of work and pressure on us but also the skillset and experience.

We are also very hot on accessibility testing - as we work with a lot of public facing sites we have to ensure regulations are met annually.

1 Like

Hi George,

Thanks for the great insight - that’s exactly what I’ve been looking to do with my team and spoke to them just yesterday in a team meeting about booking out time to focus on development.

2 Likes