New Job Chat - tell us about your new role!

A few of us have gotten new jobs - join here and tell us about them!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been at mine for a month. On the Quality team at OutSystems. My imposter syndrome / low self esteem has made it hard. I joined so I could learn about observability - but I donā€™t know enough yet - hopefully itā€™s gonna work out. The people are amazing!

9 Likes

I have been at my new job for almost 2 months now and LOVE it! I finally got to be a full time WFH right when the whole quarantine hit so this is just my new norm. I am a Quality Analyst at Webflow.

2 Likes

I think the same issues, especially low self-esteem, are holding me back from getting a new job, which I need desperately. Would love to hear some of your coping strategies.

1 Like

My company (finance and insurance) has different roles for ā€˜manualā€™ testers and ā€˜automationā€™ testers. Iā€™ve been there about 18 months and switched from manual to automation 3 months ago. Loving the new position.

1 Like

Hi Caroline, could you please tell us what are the tools you are using for automation?

Working on my new role now for about 9 months as a Principal Test Automation Engineer :slight_smile: Lots of new challenges!

@prado For our browser automation - Selenium. (tried to move this to a reply but it didnā€™t like that I didnā€™t change the post enough)

1 Like

I get 1:1 coaching in leadership skills from Selena Delesie. One tip she gave me - when Iā€™m feeling intimidated or like i donā€™t know anything - think about how I am at conferences? In a conference session where I donā€™t know anything, I ask questions!

3 Likes

Iā€™m just starting a new job tomorrow! Iā€™ve been contracting there for two months but tomorrow I start as a permie. Itā€™s a wee company called Sonocent which creates software to help people learn by assisting in note taking in lectures. Itā€™s pretty close to my heart, it has a big accessibility focus.

Iā€™m in as an Engineering Manager but I get to test as well! So stoked Iā€™m still testing <3

7 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! What does your day to day look like? Do you get to code much still as a Principal?

Amazing people make ALL the difference, thatā€™s why I decided to go permie - itā€™s so nice not having that heavy feeling in your chest from anxiety of not being around awesome people!

Canā€™t wait to hear you speaking about Observability Lisa!

2 Likes

Tomorrow?! Are you mad? Are you planning on sleeping tonight?

Well, mainly thanks to your recommendation and a couple of others Iā€™m starting a new job on Friday (which with blessings Iā€™m spending watching TestBash Home!
My official title is Test Engineer at Sonocent and my first ā€˜realā€™ day is on Star Wars day, May the Fourth (be with you). They have no idea what they are letting themselves in for, lol

8 Likes

I started mine last week!

I first learned about automation in testing when Iā€™d been a tester of 6 months, and I watched an interview with someone - I donā€™t remember who it was anymore! - and I thought it was super cool. Made a goal to become an automation tester within five years. A year and a half later and thatā€™s what I am!

So so grateful to all the wonderful friends I made at TestBash Brighton last year, cos thereā€™s no way Iā€™d be able to do half this stuff - or know when NOT to do the other half of it xD - without the guidance and support of the amazing community <3

6 Likes

Been a few months now, but joined a new team and made the shift to automation engineer, now enjoying all the learning that goes with that

2 Likes

Yes I still get to code :slight_smile: My time is split between meetings, mentoring, helping teams with their QA strategy and also do test automation.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing it caroline!

1 Like

Just started my new job this week, test automation engineer with Tribal Group. Remote onboarding is a bit strange but not as bad as it could have been thanks to being used to remote working and split-location teams. Iā€™m in the process of getting set up and getting used to new tools; Visual Studio instead of Eclipse, Azure DevOps instead of Bitbucket, and an in-house tool instead of Jira! On the other hand, thereā€™s Postman and GitExt that are familiarā€¦

2 Likes

I started my new job 3 weeks ago, after being at my previous employer for 9 years, it was very strange starting remotely and meeting the team and heads of via video chat. Iā€™ve come on board as a QA Manager and finding it challenging to learn new systems remotely, attending daily QA standups , daily wider team standups and listen in to some daily scrum standups. Also created test documentation and identified gaps in process and how improve.

Anyone got some good advice for a remote starter

2 Likes