Transitioning from desktop testing to web testing, where to start?

Hi, I’m an experienced quality engineer who has been successful in automating various desktop products and I’m looking to get into the testing of newer, web based technologies. I’m hoping that many of my skills will be transferable but I’m not sure where to start with filling in the gaps in my knowledge. I have reasonable C# skills (not proper developer level but good enough to automate) and have some Selenium and Appium experience so I’m not completely green. The trouble I’ve got is that I’ve no idea of the scale of the task I’m attempting which makes it very difficult to know where to start. What are the key differences between desktop and web testing and what skills should be prioritised first? Also, does anyone have a view on whether or not it would be feasible to learn these skills on-the-job were I be lucky enough to procure a role that required them?

1 Like

My suggestion is to read the following items:
Web Testing 101 | MoT (You need a pro account to access all modules.)
Cross Browser Testing: Getting Started
Getting started with mobile testing?
Accessibility Testing Resources Needed

I wrote a blog post serie about flaky tests in a web application. Tests have different test results within minutes, while not a single line of code in the test code and the application code has been changed. This struggle took me several months to solve it.

Another interesting thing to explore is to use TDD in Test Automation:

2 Likes

This response is not on a technical level but more on a personal level. Going into automation or transitioning can be difficult because there is too much stuff out there, to many technologies, to many tools, to many of to many.

To calm you down have a look at Learn Test Automation By Taking Short Practical Steps - EvilTester.com . I found it really nice and a must read when starting to do automation

2 Likes

For a more technical approach have a look at TAU.

You can go in these steps

Hope it helps

1 Like

Thank you Han Lim, I’ve taken out pro membership so will take a look. I’ve noticed they’ve just launched learning pathways which could also be useful.

1 Like