What tools/strategies you use to create and maintain a clear test-database?

Hi everyone!
I am looking for new ideas around creating and maintaining a test database that makes it easier to find test-cases.
We are using jira , x-ray test cases in our company and my team alone have nearly 500 manual x-ray test-cases. Other teams have their own the same way. We have put labels in our testcases to find them from Jira-search.
Still we have faced situations where it is difficult to find a testcase or some tests are duplicated , not sure if the test you find is the right/updated one.
I find myself having questions like
What other tools are there that can do a better job than x-ray?
How do we make it easier for a developer/tester to select a test out of several hundred testcases?
What can we do to have a better overview of the numerous testcases we created?

I would appreciate any input you have on this.
Thank you!

4 Likes

hi @ishani, welcome to the club

I’m not super versed in x-ray. I assume you have tried Test Repository - Xray Server + DC - Xray and Test Plan - Xray Server + DC - Xray ?

Since it’s a Jira plugin, do you have the same issue with other things in Jira? Could test cases be organized in the same way as the other things in Jira? Same tags etc?

Consider if tests have a life cycle too. In the sense that they are WIP|Active|Closed|Depricated (similar to tickets). Then you can close off the duplicates and those that have been replaced.

There are plenty of other test case management tools around. PractiTest, TestRail, Azure DevOps to name a few. Selecting the right tool is a whole project in it self, that requires management buy-in and funding. Consider what your options are on those avenues.

I hope this can get you started :slight_smile: /Jesper

2 Likes

Don’t use test cases, then the problem goes away and you can save that annual license fee for the case management tool.
Drop the Crutches « Developsense Blog

Hi Jesper,
Thank you for the generous answer :grinning: I did not know about the test repository option, definitely worth having a look thank you for mentioning the other tools as well. It’s a good start
regards.

In our organization, we are using CucumberStudio for creating and maintaining a test database. CucumberStudio is a collaborative testing platform in the cloud that allows the software delivery team to co-design acceptance tests. It provides a real-time environment for designing, executing and refactoring tests. Ultimately CucumberStudio enables to automate tests that become the living specification of your Apps.

CucumberStudio is intended to be used by everyone in a software delivery team: customers, domain experts, product managers, testers and developers. This tool allows to have a powerful testing framework and to develop in BDD at scale.

All testing activities can be easy planned using this tool and which helps in planning the release on Time. CucumberStudio is an very easy to use collaborative development platform that bridges between business and Technical Teams so that CucumberStudio Tool is good for what end-user was expected so that can be actually expected. It enables us to present our test in easy to understand graphical way to Management and clients and the status of any test can be easily seen.

Another thing we like about this tool is the ability to easily clone our test cases to new project. CucumberStudio has implemented “Actions Words”. Like in user interface testing, as a QA Tester, we need to refactor often our scenarios. With “Actions words”, we’re sure if we update one, all our corresponding scenarios will be updated. And during manual or automatic campains, the new behavior will be applied.

The primary focus of CucumberStudio is with Behavior Driven Development. In this system, users can easily edit their steps in a scenario. In test case management, it’s often appealing to have the ability to reuse previous cases. CucumberStudio allows users to reuse steps with action words and update business terminology with ease. Because tests can be generated in natural language it is also easier to collaborate with your team.