๐Ÿ‘‹ Introductions Thread โ€“ Q3 2024

:wave:t2: Hi, Simon here, Community Lead at Ministry of Testing.

Thanks for stopping by and reading this thread. :smiley:

We start a new introductions thread for folks to introduce or reintroduce themselves to the community every quarter.

• What brings you to The Club and Ministry of Testing community?
  • What are you excited about right now?
  • What do you want to learn?
  • Where are you based?
  • What else could you share about yourself?

You donโ€™t have to answer all these questions. Reply in a way that works for you. Use text, video, drawings, AI-generated images, memes or whatever.

We appreciate that some folks like stepping away for a while and returning. Itโ€™ll be great to hear from you again. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi

Iโ€™m Paula and I live near Glasgow, I have been in testing for over 25 years, the last 8 as a contractor mainly in NWG. Most of my time has been spent working in Financial Services, but I spent time working for Dell, where I was also a Scrum Master. I have been very lucky in that my career has allowed me to travel fairly extensively, to various locations in the US, Hong Kong, Dublin included. I am currently studying a post grad micro credential at the OU on Agile Leadership and Management.

I have joined Ministry of Testing to get a wider view of developments in the industry, what I work on a has quite a narrow focus. I recently completed SheCodes course on Wen Development, which Ioved.

I have two Bolognese dogs, Truffles and Santino, my darlings!

6 Likes

Hello everyone!

Iโ€™m Abdulrozaq, and Iโ€™m thrilled to join The Club and the Ministry of Testing community. Recently, I transitioned from a finance and IT background into the fascinating world of testing. I have a degree in Economics and pursued IT after school, working on various projects with amazing people. While these experiences were rewarding, I found myself searching for more fulfillment. Out of curiosity, I explored the testing field and have been captivated ever since.

Even though Iโ€™ve only been delving into testing for a short time, Iโ€™ve immersed myself in everything I can find about testing, and itโ€™s been an exciting journey. The potential of automation in testing truly fascinates me. I love the idea of improving processes and finding innovative solutions through automation. However, testing is more than just about finding defects or bugs. Itโ€™s about people, processes, environments, and community.

One article that particularly inspired me was Petros Plakogiannisโ€™ piece on transitioning from a curious novice to a seasoned software tester. His journey of mastering automation and teamwork resonated with me deeply. Iโ€™m excited about this phase of my career and look forward to experiencing it with the support and direction of this wonderful community.

Iโ€™m based in Nigeria, and beyond my professional interests, I am a very fun and adventurous person. I love to travel, try new foods, and explore different cultures. Community is a big part of who I am, and I believe that embarking on this journey with amazing folks in the testing community will make it even more fulfilling.

Iโ€™m here to learn and grow, particularly in the areas of automation and broader aspects of testing. I am eager to understand the various tools and techniques used in the field, and Iโ€™m passionate about the collaborative nature of this community.

Iโ€™m also looking to find a mentor who can guide me on this journey. I would love to hear from you if you have any advice, resources, or experiences to share. Letโ€™s connect and make this journey an enriching and enjoyable one for all of us!

Thank you for welcoming me to the community!

6 Likes

Hi there! My name is Judy. Iโ€™ve been a long-time fan but not a community participant. Iโ€™m attending more MOT events and want to dive in and learn more from the community.

• Iโ€™m excited about all knowledge sharing and encouragement between the community. To me, that speaks of an abundance mentality that I want to be a part of.
  • I want to learn a lot of things right now. :sweat_smile: I have a good background, but I know there are gaps in my learning, so my current goal is to identify those and close the gaps. Think load testing, component testing, and shifting left.
  • Kentucky, USA
  • You can find me on Substack where I write about QA practices, family life, and religious trauma. I love listening to podcasts, gardening, crafting (crochet, cross-stitch, and embroidery), and I have a pug named Princess that brings me tons of joy.
6 Likes

Hi, my name is Martin. I am originally from Bulgaria and have been living in the UK since 2017. I discovered Ministry of Testing through my application for the Software Tester Apprenticeship.

Currently, I am focused on learning the basics of Software Testing by completing the Introduction to Software Testing course, which is necessary for me to complete the challenge given by my potential employer. I am also here to stay connected with the community and keep up to date with the latest information about Software Testing.

5 Likes

Hi all! My name is Riley and Iโ€™m a newer QA Engineer and hoping to meet a lot of cool people in the Ministry of Testing Community! Iโ€™m passionate about software testing and really looking to grow my skills with you all.

Iโ€™m from Florida and my hobbies include skateboarding, playing instruments, listening to new music, and video games. If you have any good music recommendations, please let me know!

2 Likes

Hello. I have worked in testing for around 15 years and also as a developer for around 10. Iโ€™ve also got some experience of UI design as well.

My mission is to remove normalised dysfunction in software development. At the moment this is concerned with having testers independent from developers. I believe that this is suboptimal and acts against the interests of the business. A better approach would be for developers taking an active role in testing, as a default, to prevent defects being created. This would shift the QA role from being actively focused on QA to supporting, coaching, training and leading by example: by writing production code with the full gamut of tests required.

1 Like

Welcome, @rileyyy. :wave:

Get to know the community and their musical tastes via the Testerโ€™s Island Discs podcast. :headphones: