Learning buddies in automation?

We started a conversation at the TestBash Brighton UnExpo about wanting to teach, learn and share experiences year round rather than just at the conference.

So here we are! And if you interested in learning, teaching or sharing experiences about Automation? Why not connect here with @gemma.hill1987, @meowy24, @sven.schirmer, @friendlytester and others who are also looking to connect!!

2 Likes

I am trying to sort/set up Nightwatch literally right this second! Definitely still after automation buddies/low key coaching/mentoring on the technical bits. I have a good idea of what to test! The how is a bit of a mystery…

1 Like

I’ve written a primer for using Selenium WebDriver on Linux with Python (it’s a get you started type deal), you can download it from my web site.

Hope it is of some use to at least one person :wink:

I’d love to hear more from people involved with Robot Framework. Anyone?

its very late to the party but Hey!

I’m even later to the party but hello!

I’m currently working as a Developer in Test and happy to teach, share experiences and always looking to learn more myself.

Feel free to get in touch if you ever want to discuss anything automation/CI & CD related.

Hi,

I like to make pair with someone and learn automation. Is their anyone?

I literally just found this nearly 3 years later :smiley:

2 Likes

How has your automation journey gone in the last 3 years?

Any advice to share for others finding this thread?

2 Likes

It has not progressed as well as Id liked. I spent sometime trying to use Selenium with C# and got very frustrated with the platform I was trying to automate against.

The new role I’m in encourages learning and development a lot more and I’ve spent some time over the last month learning and using Cypress and picking up (and more importantly retaining) some Javascript. The largest hurdle for me was and still in learning to code and I think what has helped is trying a couple of different paths.

I found the courses on The Test Automation University extremely useful and it is really helpful exposure to multiple types of automations and ways to use them.

Other than that my advice would be to not get dishearten, ask for help from people you know who can code/automate already, pair if you have a chance and keep trying; coding is very much draw the rest of the f***ing owl a lot of the time but eventually your circles get more owl like.

2 Likes

My own automation journey started a long time ago, but was very bitty, lot’s of tutorials and proof of concepts and the odd test that didn’t do much.

I was fortunate enough to get a new rule in February that is focused more on Automation and in a team that not only encourges me but gives me practical support, knowledge sharing and pairing.

The courses on Test Automation University are fantastic! I’m glad you are using that resource, I reccomend it to others every chance I get.

My biggest recent revalation was that because Automation is Software, I need to treat myself more as a Developer and branch out my learning accordingly!

2 Likes