SWTC Glasgow - Identifying Risk

Thanks to everyone who attended tonights session. Lots of great discussions and collaboration - plus we did it! We smashed the most risks identified in a clinic to date and found 41!:1st_place_medal:

Lets keep the discussion going. Did you find it easy or difficult to identify risks? Did using the Test Sphere deck or Test Oblique cards help?

Do you already consider risk before thinking about testing to mitigate risk and gather information surrounding the risks to provide to your stakeholders? We’d love to hear some of your experiences!

Have any eager beavers tried out the exercise on a site of your choice?

P.S. remember to sign up for the next session as places are being snapped up quickly:

I liked the approach of identifying risks as the starting point for developing a test plan/approach. In our group we organised our thoughts under headings such as risk, weighting/priority and control/mitigation, and a plan started to take shape. The control of risks identified the types of testing required. If priorities are set correctly (e.g. asking questions of the product owner), a risk-based framework was formed.

I don’t have much experience of approaching risk in this way, but I can see it being useful for getting input from product owners. For example, asking someone what the non-functional requirements are does not often get much of a response, but discussing a potential issue in real world terms is much more engaging.

Exactly. Stakeholders who maybe don’t understand testing will most definitely understand risk and consequence. So by speaking the language that stakeholders & wider delivery team can identify with, it helps us as testers draw out the things that are important and therefore the things that we should probably spend more time exploring.