What are Data Raves - because you are all invited

Do you data rave?

We just had an absolutely great chat about all things data and testing data on the This Week in Testing 16.02.24 on Linkedin.

We chatted about Data Raves. What is a data rave you may ask, well… grab some eco friendly glitter and your fave dancing shoes testing friends.

A Data Rave is where curious people get together (music is optional) and talk about, investigate and play with data.

• Levels of enthusiasm varies of course
  • Interaction is consensual and optional just like any good rave or party
  • Think exploratory testing what data you have, what do you need?
  • The session can be time bound - think pomodoro
  • Who should you invite to the data rave?
  • Are we pairing or mobbing?
  • Is it an open forum or thread in a communication channel
  • In person or online - its all a possibility. :slight_smile:
  • What does the data do?
  • Will this help or hinder testing?
  • How good is the data, how can we test the quality?
  • What tools can we try, what tools have we got, what tools have we used?
  • Sometimes there are even snacks
  • And of course stay hydrated

So I am asking good people of MOT - what are you thoughts, tools, quality of the data and anything else you can think of?

5 Likes

That was an awesome episode to listen to. Thanks @ajwilson and @rosie for hosting (who needs @simon_tomes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:?).

Really liking the idea of data raves. Not sure how to apply that in my current job, but sure I will find a way, as I think it will be useful.

As for tools for pairwise testing, my go to for this is PICT from Microsoft; a tool that runs from the command line, so no fancy UI (sorry @shey.crompton @sheymouse )

2 Likes

Is there a recording of it? It sounds very interesting but I missed it.

Sorry if these were already covered, but some pointers for data quality for those who are new:

1. At the bottom level there is simple validation of each field, like you would treat the fields of a web form. Can I put a string in a number field, a very long string in a string field etc? There are slightly more subtle cases here, where the data type is fairly loose, e.g. int or string, but business-level constraints mean things should be more restricted. E.g. instead of any int, it should be in the range 1-7 because it’s actually a day of the week. This can also move on to simple validation of sets of fields, e.g. 3 int fields that together should form a valid date.

2. Next is testing relationships between rows. E.g. each row in the order item table should point to exactly one valid row in the customer and product tables. Or each row in the product category table should point to 0 or 1 other rows in the product category table (to show parent/child relationships between categories).

3. Beyond that are more subjective or context-dependent tests. The tests above are simple pass/fail kinds of test. However there can be other kinds of test where you can try to define what’s a normal range of something (a value in a particular field, the number of rows that meet some criteria etc), and you can see if you see something outside that range. For instance, normally orders in an online shop are for fewer than 10,000 items at a time, or have a total value of less than £20,000. What happens if you see an order with 50,000 items or for £80,000? Or, normally you receive 10-100 deliveries per week from a supplier, but this week there are 2 or 500. Is that OK?

@rosie / @ajwilson was your session recorded. I can’t remember.

It wasn’t, happy to support it being a recorded thing if that’s of interest to @ajwilson